Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettegh

moving a giant giant BOP

Bettina Hooper
9 years ago

I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise (strelitzia nicolai) from my current VI yard to the same sun orientation at a house I'm building nearby. It will add a lot of value to the new house and will be demolished along with the old house if it remains where it is.

I'm no stranger to successfully transplanting mature tropicals, but this thing is a 4x5 foot diameter micro ecosystem of it's own with a monstrous, ropy root system- it's pretty well contained, but there's no way all the roots will remain intact.

Is it at all possible to move one of these successfully?
Any pointers?
Should I dig the trench now, pack it with burlap and let it settle into a root ball for a few months?
(of course I'll use a bobcat)

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I don't know how well it would do. My hubby had a huge camellia moved years ago when they were tearing down the church office.A man yanked it out with a crane. He babied it for two years and it survived and is blooming now. You won't know unless you try. Sounds too good to let it go to waste.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

They have a reputation of ease of transplant. I moved one when it was not large...a lot of digging. Others told me they had it go easy and the plants took very well to the move.

• Bettina Hooper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both: I'll just give it a shot...see how it goes. I'll have a bobcat up here anyway since I'm moving some 40 yr old frangiapanis and palms ( am pretty confident about those).

• steiconi
    9 years ago

I'd prune off as much as possible, partly to make it easier to move, and partly because you'll probably lose some roots.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

How did your move go? We had to dig up a large BOP that had an intrusive shefflera with several large trunks growing in the middle of it. We had not intended to remove the entire plant, but ended up digging around it and pulling it out with a truck.

This is the plant - fully 7 foot wide - before we bothered it -

We took the opportunity to divide the plant, transplant some of them and shared the rest with neighbors. It didn't seem to suffer, as in foliage looking bad, but it sure looked sad for a while after we replanted what was left.

Now a year later, it is looking nice, albeit smaller. It has also bloomed! I was told they would not bloom for a couple of years after moving them.

I KNOW we messed up a lot of roots, but it weathered the disruption well. I know you have (or had) a big job on your hands, but I think your plant will be fine. Good luck!! And let us see the results.

Bettina Hooper thanked Crenda 10A SW FL