Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about Theobroma cacao seed

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Sat, Jan 24, 09 at 14:08

I've always cleaned away the pulp and peeled the "skin" off of cacao seeds before planting. I was wondering if it was necessary to peel them? It would certainly be easier to just wipe off the pulp then plant them. If they are planted without peeling will they get moldy and will I end up with a greenhouse full of fruit flies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about Theobroma cacao seed

If no one answers you here be sure to ask over on the tropical fruits forum, someone over there prob knows for sure and give you a quicker answer. I'm sure you prob can't wait forever for an answer with those kinds of seeds lol.

o

I decided to give it a try and they were covered with a blueish mold almost immediately. I don't know if the mold would have damaged the seed or not but I didn't want to wait and then end up with fruit flies so I lifted them. The seeds looked fine once I peeled them. They are just such a PITA to peel. lol

o

Ick! I hate the blue mold. I hope you get some nice seedlings. I had some a few yrs ago but planted them outside. I didn't take the skin off then but I had no clue what I was doing then lol. They died when I moved to AZ they hated the lack of humidity. I should order some more seeds.
Do you also grow the vanilla orchid?

o

I had good sized barbellata and planifolia vanilla orchids until the greenhouse freeze over New Year's. I'm fairly sure they are dead but I haven't tossed them yet. A couple of my orchids have a little life left in them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here