Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
americangolden

Dracaena Marginata

americangolden
12 years ago

Hello,

I purchased this plant for $2.00 which was a great deal. I am posting some pictures of before and after re-potting pictures. This plant has a very nice and healthy root system.

Look forward to growing my first Dracaena. If anyone has any tips or care information I'm all ears. Enjoy the pictures and have a great day GW :).

Comments (4)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

American...You really did get a great deal, I like the way your marginata is shaped.

Tips. D. marginata is a semi-fast grower.

Sun: D. marginatas prefer bright light. Since you're in z5, during winter, place in the brightest light possible. During hot, summer days, direct south and west sun should be avoided.

If you intend on taking your plant outdoors, do so on a cloudy day/s. Place in deep shade. Gradually move to a brighter location every few days.

Soil: Soil must be well-draining. Never keep constantly wet or muddy. Water when soil is dry, crumbly. Insert your finger or a stake deep within. If stake comes out wet, wait a few days and retest. When soil is crumbly, from top to bottom, give a thorough drink of water that's sat out at least 24 hours.
    My D. margintas are planted in, Miracle Gro Cactus and Succulent Soil, Perlite, a little All Purpose House Plant Soil, and small Pea Gravel.

Fertilizer: Fertilize during growing season, usually from April-Sept. All-Purpose or balanced is best. Use half-strength. Fertilizer manufacturers would love for us to use a bottle per feeding, lol. There's no one true time to fertilize. People fertilize once a week, once every other week, or once a month. Divide appropriately.

If there's one thing marginata's don't like is wet feet. Besides well-draining soil, pot should have drainage holes. If not, water settles on the bottom, soil remains wet, and roots rot.

Although this Dracanea doesn't like wet feet, it prefers some humidity. Spray leaves once a day and if possible, hose/shower in sink every so often. This is more important during winter months when air is dry.

Rotate: To keep balance in growth and color, rotate 1/4 turn, once a week. This way plant will get an even amount of light.. Some plants lean towards the sun, then trunk grows crooked.

Insects: Marginatas can attract insects, especially Mealy Bug and Spider Mites.
    I find misting and good air circulation two ways to keep pests away.
    Since I don't use chemicals, I make up a mix, 'in a spray bottle,' of water, 2-4 drops of dish soap, hot pepper, citrus rind/juice and mouthwash. Spray twice a month with this concoction, and your plants will be insect-free.

That's about it, American. There's no ONE way to care for a plant. When others chime in, you'll see what I mean.

Good luck, Toni

• americangolden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all your information. I look forward to growing this plant outdoors this summer. It is currently in well draining soil as you can see from my pictures. I have it in a west window at the moment.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

American, forgot to mention, your doggie is a cutie. He/she seems interested in your plant, too.. :)

When you place your marginata outside, start by setting in shade, otherwise it'll burn.
    Good luck, Toni

• americangolden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, she is a very curious Golden :). Alright sounds great. What temp does it have to be to start taking it outside??

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County