Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Ginger Lily

Posted by flowergirl2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 14:56

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a plant or a rhizome of the red ginger lily (Alpina purpurata) in Canada> I love tropicals and this is one of my absolute favourites.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Ginger Lily

Alpinia purpurata is extremely difficult to grow outside of zone 10. It languishes greatly during winter months, even if protected. It is difficult to grow even in a container in a heated greenhouse during my zone 9 winter. The blooms, when container grown, have never reach the true size of the bloom where grown in situ and are ugly looking. Temperatures below 50, even for a few hours, can kill it plus it needs constant high humidity. I've been trying to grow this ginger for years and it has always disappointed me. With that said, there are several US internet nurseries that sell this alpinia. Gardino's in Florida(www.rareflora.com), Aloha Tropicals in CA, both sell these gingers and might ship to Canada. Most US nurseries have stopped selling this alpinia as it even struggles for survival in deep south Florida.

Steve

o
RE: Red Ginger Lily

Perhaps you could try Hedychium gardnerianum which has red flowers in the fall and is much hardier than the Alpina. The plant is of the same general habit as the Alpina but much easier to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here