Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_was_in_michigan

Indoor light for Cacao plant

I have some small cacao plants that I bought on Ebay. They were about 8" tall when I got them and have grown to about 20" now. I have replanted them in a 30/30/30 mix of organic potting soil/perlite/peat, and they have grown a bit since then

I put together a small indoor greenhouse which I heat with a 60W bulb to about 80F during the day. There is an open tray of water that the bulb warms up and I spray the leaves in the morning and at night. Its pretty humid in there. I check the soil with my finger and try to water enough that it stays moist but not soaking. When they were little I had poor drainage and I think the roots got too wet.

I'm concerned that I don't have the proper light. I bought a fluorescent plant light (24" tube) and have that above them, maybe 20" away. I turned it sideways so that the plants get light but not so directly any more.

They both seem to be growing, although one has stopped growing new leaves. The other is sprouting like crazy. I noticed that the leaves on both seem to be changing more greenish yellow lately. In the fluorescent light you can see splotchiness of yellow color. The leave do not have any brown on them except for one spot on one where it was touching another leaf (bizarre?).

Do I need to shield the light more? I know they don't like direct sun but I'm not sure if a lot of artificial light is also bad for them.

Does anyone else grow cacao indoors? I live in NY so I can't put them outside.

Comments (11)

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Cacao is an understudy tree being shaded heavily for most if not all of it's life. So it can handle the shade and at this age is best left out of any direct light. I would not supplement any light for them. Put them farther back in the room and whatever light comes in should be plenty. I had a nice one and got careless with light. Ended up killing it.

The leaves turning greenish-yellow "may" be an acid/iron deficiency. You could mix up a weak solution of Ironite and add that when watering. It can work wonders if you are careful. They prefer a more acid soil.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I have three seedlings about 15 inches tall in gallon pots. I just brought them inside the house for the winter and set them near a window. No tray, no spraying, no greenhouse covering. They do have small brown tips to their leaves but nothing major. The new leaves are yellowish but again, nothing serious. We've been kinda cold lately and the house temp has been in the high sixties. They are doing fine and growing much more than I thought they would. The guy I got them from said to just bring them inside and keep them as houseplants during the winter. He never said anything about baby-ing them so I didn't. They are in a somewhat dark room with sunlight coming in the window only at sunrise, by ten oclock all light is indirect. You might be taking too good of care of yours.

• jon_was_in_michigan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, guys. I pulled the light out for now. I noticed the next day that the leaves had moved so that they are now perpendicular to the stem. Maybe there was too much light before.

• herb_alpert
    16 years ago

OHIO here...jay where u from?

where can i find cacao plants or seed to germinate

also might like to grow coffee plant

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Columbus... YOu'd probably have to order. Pine Island has them.

• wesley piercy
    8 years ago

Hey guys I see the thread is from 2008. I have a 24" seedling, and the new leaves are coming in sagging and very thin. Thoughts on changes I could make?

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Very generally speaking, a "bright" room is much darker than you might imagine. Take a room that you feel is well-lit, place a good light meter in it, then compare that reading to somewhere outside, under the shade of trees. The latter will be much brighter, you will find. Indoors is dark, even though we humans may see well enough and be able to read print, etc.....for a plant, an organism that actually runs on light energy, a very different picture. I'd keep the light going. No way are you giving this too much light. No way, not no how.........

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

The leaves on cacao plants tend to be thin and sag a bit.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    8 years ago

Baby cacao plants can actually take more light than older plants if you have a humid environment. I grow my babies in direct morning sun and afternoon shade outside. I will post some pics later when i get on my home computer.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago

Regular incandescent light bulbs may not be the best for a cacao plant. The bulbs give off heat and a fair amount of infrared heat rays. It is true that tropical plants need warmth, but this type of direct heat can also cause the exposed leaf surfaces to dry out. Cacao plants like humidity.

This is a little bit of a difficult distinction to understand. Heat is good, but when that heat is unevenly distributed onto the plant it can be bad. Also, the warmer it is, the higher humidity levels the plant should have. Although cacao prefers warmer temperatures, if the air is not humid enough it will have more trouble growing in warmer temperatures than slightly cooler.

• Manual Kelempesis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hey guys I'm new to all this i live in Sydney Australia and have 4 cocoa trees about a foot tall i bought 3 online and grew 1 from a seed the seedlings seems to be doing the best with all five leafs burnt back half way and the other 3 one is in the same situation as the seedlings and the other 2 have lost all the leafs we had a brutal winter with temps around 3 degrees Celsius I have them out doors in a green house that occasionally rips open from wind do my very best to keep them around 18 degrees c with 60% to 90 % humidity all of them except the seedling has lots of new shoots just popping through the bark will they survive? There about a month left before spring is here then the battle for summer:( please any help will be great like I said I'm new to this so sorry if iv left anything

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio