Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kharvel_gw

Mango tree in the Pacific Northwest?

kharvel
18 years ago

Hello all,

I live in the Seattle area and I have a fetish for mangoes which is explained by my Indian background. I was wondering if it is possible to grow a mango tree in my backyard? The backyard garden will be mostly Pacific Northwest style (lots of cedar/fir/spruce trees) but I would like to have a mango tree as the centerpiece.

Let me know if anyone has successfully grown a mango tree in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

:o( No... mangoes don't like freezes, and I understand it regularly freezes there... UNLESS you grew it indoors during the winter... but they eventually get pretty big.

• bihai
    18 years ago

I plan to buy some stuff from Pine Island this next season, but I have to say, I don't think I would buy it mail order. I only live 5 hours north of them (they are in Miami) in Gainesville and they quoted me a shipping charge of $37.50 to send 2 plants via UPS. UPS ground to anywhere in FL from anywhere else in FL only takes 24 hours anyway, so its not like they are having to send it at a special overnight rate.

I order plants about 5 times a year from Tropiflora in Sarasota, and have had some fairly HUGE, HEAVY orders, and never been charged more than $15-16 shipping. I have even obtained plants from Hawaii for a shipping charge of only $18. WHat gives with their shipping cost? I am going to wait til I can pick up the plants sometime when we are in Miami.

• fiji
    15 years ago

To the person in Seattle, Did you ever get a Mango Tree and were you able to grow it.

• flora2
    15 years ago

Yes, I would love to know. I love mangoes as well --wouldn't it be fantastic to have your own? Please let us know. Thanks

• cactus_lord
    15 years ago

Im not sure about the climate over there, but im sure its a lot warmer than here so you should be fine, seems as though I have a Mango seedling on my windowsill. The UK climate seems to work well for me.

• ARAD
    15 years ago

There is no way you can grow a mango tree outside in the ground in Seattle area, but you can do what Lisa said. The only areas in US where you can grow a mango tree are South California zone 10, the lower half of Florida, again zone 10 and 11 and a small warm area in south Texas. I'm not sure about Phoenix, AZ though...it might be too hot/too cold.

• rhizophora
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I think Seattle has a mild maritime climate, similar to the UK. Southern UK is closer to a San Franisco climate, but we can grow Ficus Elastica, Monstera, Strelitzia reginae, schefflera and even kentia, bangalow and nikau palms outside. Many palms are so very sensitive such as the kentia and bangalow, so I think a Mango may just cope in Seattle but it may die back every year, so you will get no fruit. Am I right in saying you have very hot summers? If you really want to then you can try, if you do what everyone else says then you won't get anywhere!
    Good luck
    James

• rhizophora
    15 years ago

Just to avoid confusion i don't mean you guys with the "don't always do what everyone says" thing lol- i just meant in life in general
    sorry about that
    James

• koicool1
    15 years ago

I don't know about growing a mango in seattle but, for the person who was wondering if a seattle summer was hot. The highs in the summer if they are lucky is around 88-89. they are in heat zone #2, which means they only have 7-14 days out of the year that are above 86 degrees Farenheit.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

I've grown fruiting Mangos in the SF bay area in Northern California.Right now i have two young trees and two seedlings in ground. They are very marginal..but,like i said they bore fruit in 06, In 07, the freeze was a setback.
    Seattle outdoors all year is hopeless. In a pot,brought indoors for winter is a longshot, but possible. The small Asian Mango's seem best but are not the only types. Easier done with Mango than with Papaya!

• tammysf
    15 years ago

Hi Stan,

hello there,

I am also in northern california (bay area) and just ordered some mango trees.

any tips would be greatly appreciated....

how big are your trees now?
    what kind do you have?
    how long did they take to flower? fruit?
    are you doing anything special?

any help, pics, blogs would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,

tammy

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

A possibility would be Julie. Can be grown in a pot and brought inside under a grow light for cold winter. Don't let it get too wet, though. It suffers from "wet feet" like all other mangoes.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

You should bring this thread over to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Put it HERE

• yuterkeeyu
    5 years ago

Where there's a will, there's a way.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    5 years ago

If you have a greenhouse. Look at the house that Amazon built.

• jessepackard
    5 years ago

Hello Yall,

I live in the PNW in north western Oregon. It is mid October right now and I planted this beautiful mango tre in late Aug, and it has done really well. it has been outside everyday since I planted it, i have had a great time with this experiment to see if it would grow. it has already hit freezing a few times this year and has not died. dont mind the top of it cause a slug got to it when it was young, none of the damage to it has been cause by freeze damage.