Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango tree in the Pacific Northwest?

Posted by kharvel Seattle (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 15:53

Hello all,

I live in the Seattle area and I have a fetish for mangoes which is explained by my Indian background. I was wondering if it is possible to grow a mango tree in my backyard? The backyard garden will be mostly Pacific Northwest style (lots of cedar/fir/spruce trees) but I would like to have a mango tree as the centerpiece.

Let me know if anyone has successfully grown a mango tree in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango tree in the Pacific Northwest?

:o( No... mangoes don't like freezes, and I understand it regularly freezes there... UNLESS you grew it indoors during the winter... but they eventually get pretty big.

o

You could grow a dwarf (Condo) Mango in a container and move it indoors for the winter. You should ask the folks at the nursery below, if an early season one, or late season would be better for a cold climate.

I have 6 dwarf Mango trees, all under 6' tall, all in containers. They have been very easy to care for and since they are grafted, I expect fruit this year. Got delicious fruit last year from my dwarf Julie variety.

Mangos take pruning well. See this webpage for more info:

http://www.ftg.org/horticulture/mangopruning.html

If you scroll down the page on the link below, you can see the list of available Condo Mangos, and detailed descriptions/ratings.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango variety viewer

o

I plan to buy some stuff from Pine Island this next season, but I have to say, I don't think I would buy it mail order. I only live 5 hours north of them (they are in Miami) in Gainesville and they quoted me a shipping charge of $37.50 to send 2 plants via UPS. UPS ground to anywhere in FL from anywhere else in FL only takes 24 hours anyway, so its not like they are having to send it at a special overnight rate.

I order plants about 5 times a year from Tropiflora in Sarasota, and have had some fairly HUGE, HEAVY orders, and never been charged more than $15-16 shipping. I have even obtained plants from Hawaii for a shipping charge of only $18. WHat gives with their shipping cost? I am going to wait til I can pick up the plants sometime when we are in Miami.

o

To the person in Seattle, Did you ever get a Mango Tree and were you able to grow it.

o

Yes, I would love to know. I love mangoes as well --wouldn't it be fantastic to have your own? Please let us know. Thanks

o

Im not sure about the climate over there, but im sure its a lot warmer than here so you should be fine, seems as though I have a Mango seedling on my windowsill. The UK climate seems to work well for me.

o

• Posted by arad 10USDA/25SUNSET (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 15:39

There is no way you can grow a mango tree outside in the ground in Seattle area, but you can do what Lisa said. The only areas in US where you can grow a mango tree are South California zone 10, the lower half of Florida, again zone 10 and 11 and a small warm area in south Texas. I'm not sure about Phoenix, AZ though...it might be too hot/too cold.

o

Hi,
I think Seattle has a mild maritime climate, similar to the UK. Southern UK is closer to a San Franisco climate, but we can grow Ficus Elastica, Monstera, Strelitzia reginae, schefflera and even kentia, bangalow and nikau palms outside. Many palms are so very sensitive such as the kentia and bangalow, so I think a Mango may just cope in Seattle but it may die back every year, so you will get no fruit. Am I right in saying you have very hot summers? If you really want to then you can try, if you do what everyone else says then you won't get anywhere!
Good luck
James

o

Just to avoid confusion i don't mean you guys with the "don't always do what everyone says" thing lol- i just meant in life in general
sorry about that
James

o

I don't know about growing a mango in seattle but, for the person who was wondering if a seattle summer was hot. The highs in the summer if they are lucky is around 88-89. they are in heat zone #2, which means they only have 7-14 days out of the year that are above 86 degrees Farenheit.

o

I've grown fruiting Mangos in the SF bay area in Northern California.Right now i have two young trees and two seedlings in ground. They are very marginal..but,like i said they bore fruit in 06, In 07, the freeze was a setback.
Seattle outdoors all year is hopeless. In a pot,brought indoors for winter is a longshot, but possible. The small Asian Mango's seem best but are not the only types. Easier done with Mango than with Papaya!

o

Hi Stan,

hello there,

I am also in northern california (bay area) and just ordered some mango trees.

any tips would be greatly appreciated....

how big are your trees now?
what kind do you have?
how long did they take to flower? fruit?
are you doing anything special?

any help, pics, blogs would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,

tammy

o

A possibility would be Julie. Can be grown in a pot and brought inside under a grow light for cold winter. Don't let it get too wet, though. It suffers from "wet feet" like all other mangoes.

o
Transfer It!

You should bring this thread over to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Put it HERE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here