Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_ny_gw

Learn how to clone

john_ny
15 years ago

Tissue culture workshop. Las Vegas, March 14.

Here is a link that might be useful: Workshop

Comments (4)

• coconut_palm
    15 years ago

I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture, and I can honestly tell you, DON'T CLONE! It is Frankenstein "science" and is causing all sorts of unexpected problems in humans as well as nature. It is causing heretofore unknown allergies and is wiping out the bees as they visit cloned and genetically modified (aka genetically TAMPERED WITH) fruit and vegetable flowers! Don't do it! It's not legitimate agriculture!

John

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The cloning (tissue culturing) that I am talking about has absolutely nothing to do with genetic modification. It's, basically, just producing, and rooting, lots of tiny cuttings.

• don_brown
    15 years ago

You are quite correct, John. Any form of vegetative reproduction, whether artificial or natural, is "cloning", and, in itself, is not at all harmful...........unless, of course, one cloned countless thousands of a species such as to obliterate genetic diversity......but that is an improbable extreme.
    Genetic manipulation is a completely different kettle of trouble, and we have the untouchable mega-corporations such as Monsanto to thank for that. Artificial genetic manipulation is just plain sick as far as I am concerned. Inserting fish genes in a tomato or producing sterile corn is straight from the X-Files!

• chironex
    15 years ago

Coconutplam,
    Please cite references in support of your claims. A categorical denial of all cloning is a bit over-the-top and extreme to say the least. Lumping cloning and genetic engineering/modification into the same category is irresponsible at the very least.
    I take exception to your characterization of cloning, or tissue culture as 'Frankenstein science'. Frankly, with the issues facing the food supplies of the world, thankfully there are PhD researchers out there working to provide safe, sustainable foods. To say that the bees are being wiped out is a vague generality, especially since you have said it in the same breath as cloning. I won't even get into a discussion of your claims that cloning has resulted in 'heretofore unknown allergies' and 'is causing all sorts of unexpected problems in humans.' Many people have food allergies and genetic predisposition to certain chemicals in food that have existed long before cloning. While it is true that GM has caused some problems, cloning should not be categorized as GM.
    I will have more respect for your opinion if presented in a format without the sensationalism of a Hollywood tabloid. As a fellow scientist, you know the importance of credible sourcing in support of your position. To make rash public statements such as these undermines the credibility of the scientific community as a whole. Please understand that I am not attacking you personally, I just do not approve of the method, the generalities and tacit warnings employed to make such definite conclusions. I am also not looking to engage you in a protracted ethical debate. I have said my piece and will leave it at that.