Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedychium horsfieldii bloom photo

Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 16:30

Here's a photo of a bloom on my Hedychium horsfieldii. I got the ginger last summer. It spends all of its time in my heated humid greenhouse. I'm afraid the dry air here in southern CA would kill it. Its got to be the strangest flower I have. I don't know what its going to do next. Is this the height of the bloom?

Photobucket

1 18 09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedychium horsfieldii bloom photo

They are the seeds , seems you missed the flowers . They are not that large, and very short lived . Check out Dave Skinners gingers'r'us web site . He has great info and multiple pictures of many spp. I have flowered and set seed on 3 epiphytic Hedychiums , and been able to correct names using Daves site .

o

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 16:12

I got seeds this year too. The flowers are nondescript while flowers.

o

Hi any interest in trading some seeds?
Katie

o

That's really cool looking. The seeds are prettier then the bloom. It looks kind of like an over-ripe bitter melon that has split open. The split fruit is the only reason that I grow bitter melon. It certainly isn't for the taste. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here