Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Care for Dieffenbachia or Whatever it Is

Posted by vjwarner 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 16:36

Hi,

I was hoping for some information to help take care of my newly inherited dieffenbachia. At least that is how someone identified it on the Name That Plant forum. It is very spindly and droopy and I don't know why. Any ideas? Wisdom to bestow? I'd surely appreciate it!

Thx, Valentina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Care for Dieffenbachia or Whatever it Is

Take all of your cell phone/tablet photos in landscape mode. You will never have orientation issues.

o

Hey love the yard, not sure what you mean. Is it hard to view my image?

o

I've never seen a Dief looking like this before. Those stems will never be capable of holding themselves upright (which this plant is supposed to be) so I would take cuttings of the straggly stems, and repot the root ball to give it a chance to grow some vigorous new stems. Sections of naked stem, buried (shallowly) sideways can yield plants also. I would let cuttings callous overnight before putting in soil. These are plants that appreciate low light, but it looks like this one hasn't had enough.

Your pic isn't hard to see, but is sideways.

o

That was my immediate response, to make cuttings of the straggly stems. I'm not sure what you mean by "sections of naked stem buried (shallowly) sideways can yield plants..."

I had some sun in Seattle today - must be Seahawks sunshine for winning the division, so I put the plant in some sun. I'm going to take your advice . I've already repotted the root ball. Fortunately the roots are healthy. It's just so droopy.

Thank you for your help and I'll let you know how it goes! Oh, and thanks for telling me that my image is sideways.

V.

o

The stems are so long, my comment was about how one might want to cut the tops, but have long sections of leaf-less, naked stem afterward. Those sections of stem theoretically can be propagated, though whether or not it works is always a gamble.

Good luck! You should eventually get something good-looking going out of this.

Sunshine is in short supply everywhere this winter!

o

Yup, Purple replied sooner, but the image is sideways. Take cell phone and tablet images in landscape, bottom of phone to your right. :)

You got good advice on your plant. Spring weather will help tremendously. I hope it cheers up.

Carol in Jacksonville

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here