Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandapanda920

Dragonfruit.....

amandapanda920
15 years ago

Anyone ever grew a dragonfruit from seed here before? Im growing some and I would like to know how long does it take to get to the fruiting process.Thanks

Amanda

Comments (13)

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Just curious...are you growing any from cuttings? If not, why not? Much quicker.

• amandapanda920
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does it take forever to grow from seed? Maybe I will look into getting some cuttings from somewhere. Its been a month now and they are only 1" tall lol,I love a challenge lol.

• danial1
    15 years ago

I never grow them from seed, because it will take too long before they can bear the fruit.

Cuttings is much faster, you can have them bear fruit within 7-8 months

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape and natures

• amandapanda920
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Danial1, that is exactly what i will do! thanks for the great info :)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I've planted seeds from the fruit and after a year the plants are still very immature and only about 6". I have plants grown from cuttings that took about 2 years to produce fruit. I have a white fleshed variety and it's kind of bland. I don't know if it's because it spends half the year in the greenhouse or what but I've bought Dragon fruit that tastes much better. It is an interesting looking fruit and a beautiful flower. Make sure it's well supported. I've broken off several feet of growth moving it in and out of the greenhouse because it's not properly supported.

• amandapanda920
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip Karen!

• danial1
    15 years ago

When I planted the dragon fruit, I will make sure the soil type is sandy naturally, about 70% soil and 30 % sand. I think the dragon love dry and sandy soil:-)
    Choose soil where the water is easy to be absorbed by the earth and make sure no retention of water beneath the place where you plant the tree. Too much water and the rooting system will rot.

Once in a while, 4 to 5 month interval ,you should cut the tip of the dragon fruit so the new ones regrow.Not all branches but selectively (50% or so). Leave the old one as this will bear the fruit.

Don't forget to fertilize the dragon tree every 2 weeks, organic fertilizer is the best. (They need nutrition too, like us :-))

I use T-shaped wood supporter to make sure they grow well. Height about 7 feet, with horizontal supporter should be 3 and a half feet, 3" x 3" size wood supporter. You can also use reinforced concrete supporter with the same size as woods but wood looks best (in your yard garden)
    And the most happy part is when the dragon fruit ripes, it taste sweet. Mine is purple in colour. The sweetness is on par with the dragon fruit that I buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape and natures

• amandapanda920
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Danial1, I jotted it all down in my gardeners journal and I think that I have just the right thing for a good support, one that my passionfruit grew out of should be just right, thanks again!

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I don't know what type of support you used for your passie but remember the DF is significantly heavier. There's someone here (on GW) that has a DF in their greenhouse on support that they built. It was really nice and the plant looked great. I wish I could remember who it was. It might have been Ohiojay???

• amandapanda920
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thats very true, thanks Karen, I think I will consider making some minor adjustments to the support, I will refer to Ohiojay as he is quite the expert in that area, thanks again!

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

I do have a strong support for mine in the greenhouse. I've also seen some really creative setups for containers from some of the folks on the tropical fruit forum. I'm sure if you did a search, you'd see some of those pics.

• killgriff07
    15 years ago

As to growing from a cutting. One of my neighbors gardeners was trimming their plant and I asked if I could have a piece. Once I got it home, I dipped the cut end in sprouting hormone and stuck it a few inches deep in a 5 gallon pot filled with miracle grow. Its against a east facing wall and gets morning sun from about 7 - noon. It's been probably a year since then and the plant is still green and alive. The roots are starting to grow through the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot, but it has not grown AT ALL. Any suggestions?
    -Thanks

• costaricafinca
    15 years ago

I have some that are growing on top of a stone wall. They get pretty heavy, so the support is necessary. The are often seen growing up tree trunks, like vanilla or bromeliads.
    From seed, it will probably take years!
    A friend showed us this trick. Take a fresh 'dragon fruit/pitahaya' and cut it open, and rub it 'up and down' a tre trunk! Voila!