Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird of paradise pictures

Posted by flowerchild5 z8or (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 27, 07 at 19:37

Hello all! I was curious if anyone had any pics of bird of paradise seedlings. I've seen pics of the seeds themselves. They do not look like what I planted. but, I have the cutest seedlings and am really hoping its the real deal. thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird of paradise pictures

There is something called "Mexican" bird of paradise and the plant has leaves that look like a mimosa trees. The seeds look like little lima beans. It is a Caesalpinia - google that and see if it is what you had.

o

I don't think there's much variation in the seeds amonst the "reginaes' so if they weren't very dark to almost black pea sized seeds and round , you most likely have the Caesapinia seeds, and not the one you may have intended. None the less, I've been looking for Caesapinia seeds to try , since those are very lovely flowers and quite spectacular. I'd guess the Caesalpinia seeds would be sort of bean shaped perhaps?

o

I've grown white bird of paradise from seeds. The seeds were on the large size (maybe 1/2 the size of a dime)with an orange tuft. The seedlings looked exactly like tiny BOP's!

o

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 28, 07 at 20:11

This is what BOP seeds look like (Orange and white) Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is a caesalpinia pulcherrima "Bird of Paradise Bush" plant (Yellow/Red flower variety).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pink variety

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

I need to get my "head" together with you cagary perhaps for a seed trade for the Caesalpinia seeds, though I'm not sure what tropical or subtropical seeds I'd have to trade. Most of mine don't produce seeds unfortunately, or rarely!

o

well, thanks you! I must have the mexican kind although I thought I had the other. the seedlings do look like little mimosa trees. I really really wanted the other kind. I only had six of these seeds and 4 have germinated so far. I guess I just let them do their thing and enjoy them. Thanks so much!
Tanya

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here