Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randall_2007

Norfolk Island Pine problems!!!

randall_2007
17 years ago

We have purchased several Norfolk island Pines , about 3-6 feet tall, in pots. They have been in pots for maybe 1 week or more and then they slowly start to brown and eventually die before we can plant them. We have tried 4 or 5 different ones from time to time. We just can not keep them going. What are we doing wrong? We live in texas, warm climate, etc..They seam to be sensitive to something. We love them and really want to have in yard if we can keep them. ANY advise is sure appreciated

Comments (10)

• longwoodgradms
    17 years ago

Are you overwatering, or is there little drainage from the pots?

OK, main questions---from where did you get these plants? Were they grown in a warm greenhouse (interior plant production) and then you place outside with cool dry nights, etc? The other pines you've lost in past, same thing happened even if you did it in Spring or Summer?

• tbenton
    16 years ago

I had a NIP for 30 years and kept in sunporch in winter and by the pool in shady corner in summer. It was 3" tall when I got it so I was always proud of how large it got. It got too big and top heavy to move inside so we finally had to 'let it go'. I bought a new one in Dec '07 and its about 3' tall and appears there are more than one in the pot. The soil looks more like large bark and I left it in the thin nursery pot it came in. Its under ceiling plant lights with other tropicals in my living room where the other one lived until it got too tall. Living room gets light from sunporch skylight too. I water every week and it drains well but now new 'tufts' of growth at the top ar 'hanging over' and when I check with moisture meter its VERY wet. Some pieces of inner branches are drying out and falling off but most of it is still green/soft but hew top growth is droopping. I have not watered it two weeks and I mist it but still drooping at the top. I want to repot in good soil to get it out of the wet but wondered if this might save it. Thanks.
    Terri B

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Terri..NIP's prefer cool and definatly airy conditions..
    But it sounds like a soil problem. Is soil heavy? If it's staying wet, your plant is potted in too heavy a medium. Though NIP's shouldn't dry completely, sitting in wet soil will only cause root rot. Id' say repot. Use a lighter mix w/chopped bark/ in addition to a bit of Perlite.
    I'm assuming the pot has drainage since it's in a growing pot, right? Toni

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Just passing through and have to put my two cents in. Hope you don't mind. I just love Norfolks, almost an obsession, and probably have at least ten (notice I don't even know the count!). I have bought those little pots at Christmas time, stuffed with ten seedlings, with a couple decorations, then repot (just the potting soil sold in bags in Home Depot or the like) into individual pots. Love to watch them grow. Only trouble is, when they get about 8 - 10 feet tall, I have to cut the tops. Then they branch and get bushy. There's only a couple ways to kill them: First thing is, and most important, do NOT EVER let them dry out. If they do, that's it -- they're gone. The other thing is that they must never be frozen, although they have been exposed to freezing for a couple hours once. I've grown 8-foot in a ten-inch pot, almost never repot. They summer outdoors here in NJ, then are brought inside for the winter. They do need light. A patio door will do. Have grown them with East, West, and South exposures. Depending on your climate, they may be exposed to too much heat and not enough moisture. Maybe try a little shade? Would have to know more on this subject. BTW, at least one is over 30 years old. Smaller pots = smaller size. Also, I've started topping my smaller ones at about three feet to keep them small and bushy. Hope this helps. Good luck. Kitty

• cnordell
    15 years ago

I have a NIP which is about 4 feet tall but has dropped most of its branches. Can I cut it back and have it re grow or is there nothing I can do?? thanks

• joyfulme2_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

My NIP got dry (the dirt) and although I've kept it water (and showered) since then, it continues to become more dry on it's branches. The very top branches are fine, but the lower ones are very brittle. I think new growth only puts out from the top. If so, cutting it back will result in a very pitiful looking plant. Right? Any experienced advice would be appreciated

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

I have a 10 fot nip and my main problem indoors are spider mites. That may be your problem

• Hihaut_aol_com
    13 years ago

Have a Nif 40" tall and 3' in dia.In the last two weels it has developed quite a bit of brown leaves. I water it once a week with not too much water and sprray it twice a week

• ifraser25
    13 years ago

Your climate is wrong. Too dry/cold. NIP is from the Pacific islands.

• Spghost12009_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

The branches of my pine keep turning brown and dying. Although the tree has new growth, I can't seem to stop the problem. What am I doing wrong? I love my tree!