Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

Dragonfruit Support

Eggo
18 years ago

Here's a picture of my new dragonfruit support. Its a piece of one of two palm trees that were cut down this winter(sorry palm folks it was just getting too tall and took up too much nutrients from the surrounding area). This will be used for the base of my support, a wood structure will be nailed to top later on so the branches can hang down like those Vietnamese orchards. From experience with growing dragonfruit from the last two or so years, I think I may have them down now Or not. I've tried growing them on a metal support, it didn't quite work well. It appears that arial roots may help out more than I thought in my area and I just wasn't getting any with a metal support. Also it likes a spot where it will get more shade, not too much of the afternoon sun, this seemed to burn the stems and also inhibit new growth. I actually get more growth in winter and spring when the sun aren't so strong. Its gonna be interesting to see if this works well.

Comments (9)

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Eggo, do cut palm trunks take a long time to decay? I'm asking because I grew Dragonfruit up mature pine trees. They were doing fine, growing very quickly until the hurricanes hit us and killed the pines. They rotted at an incredibly fast rate, and I had to pull down my Dragonfruit vines. I now have to build a different trellis/support for them.

The aerial roots grow into the bark and loosen it from the trees. I'm considering using P/T 4 by 4s, wrapped in thick burlap, covered with wire mesh. The Pitaya could still attach to the burlap and the wire would hold the burlap until more plant growth completely covers it. I'd like an old wagon wheel for the top- am still looking for one or two.

Lisa

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lisa, that's a great question and I have no idea if its slow to decay or not. I hope someone can answer that here? I hope it is.
    Burlap! Great idea you have. Its like a light bulb just turn on. I'm definitely gonna have to try that with my metal support.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

This is a good thread idea. I have been thinking of what I could do for my dragon fruit. I saw a metal umbella support thing in Jackson Perkins catalog (kinda pricey). I like this idea better. Would any semi-hard wood do?
    Perhaps I could wrap it in moss and chicken wire like you do for philadendrum?
    I don't think I would want to use any chemically treated wood on food related products because I read that they are treated with some type of arsenic and you should plant edibles at least 4ft away from a treated fence.
    I like the wagon wheel idea. Not sure if I will be able to find one though. I guess if it didn't have to be round I could just build a suare frame with cross or radial supports?

• jun_
    18 years ago

yeah, check out the picture under: dragon tree

Here is a link that might be useful: dragon fruit support

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jun, yeah that is what I'm going for, hopefully it works.
    Give it a try Sultry Jasmine, they sound like great ideas. Yes, and I've heard the same thing about treated wood.

• kquat
    14 years ago

I have lots of dragon fruit cactus ( the white meat variety) on very good supports. They bloomed a lot: more than 20 beautiful flowers this summer but fruit doesn't form. Can some one tell me why? To day, I just bought another variety: The red meat dragon fruit cactus ( American beauty) and planted it close by. Do you think that will help... with cross pollination? I live in Houston, Tx, the temp here has been more than 90 degrees. Could the heat be the culpable? Kim

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Try hand-pollinating.

• boom1
    14 years ago

this is probably better in the tropical fruit forum.

its pretty obvious where my yellow dragonfruit in the corner is interested in going.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

Cool photos. Its like they 'know' there is a tree there LOL! Go for the tree....