Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Jackfruit in Austin Texas

Posted by CandiceRae 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 23:58

Hi guys! I've recently developed an interest in cultivating tropical fruit trees. So far I've got a bunch of Papaya, a pineapple, and a Mango that is starting to grow it's first branches. I would like to add Jackfruit to my collection. Living in Austin Tx has it's climate limitations, especially in winter. My papaya seedlings are doing great out in the garden, and have survived several hard freezes with no problem. I moved my Mango seedling indoors until the weather gets a little warmer. I'm wondering if I should grow the Jackfruit in a container, or in the ground on the south side of my house next to my orange tree. I've read that they have very sensitive tap roots, and do not take root pruning well. If I do have to keep it in a container will I be able to keep it under control with regular pruning? Will pruning prevent the tree from producing fruit? Any pointers would be great. I've got my happy little seed soaking away! I hope it germinates! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Jackfruit in Austin Texas

I know that they aren't the happiest, but I've got a couple of small jackfruits (<3ft) growing in 16 oz SOLO cups that are impervious to my neglect. In my experience I've gotten almost 100% germination rate with jackfruit seeds doing just an overnight soak and then planting in moist soil.

They grow very fast, and will take off if you give them room to grow. I'm keeping them in the small cups just to slow the growth rates, although they are getting too top heavy so I'll need to pot them soon. The tap root will go a little crazy but if you keep it limited in a pot it should be fine. You may want to put a mesh or something over the pot's drain holes to keep the root from escaping too far.

o

Thanks for the tip! We should be getting a greenhouse soon, so maybe it can live in the greenhouse permanently? I think I could fit a 5 to 6 foot tree in there. Is that big enough for it to support fruit? Are they self fertile, or do I need another tree? Also, what is the recommended soil pH? Do they require any chilling hours to set fruit? And, if the tap root should escape the pot will pruning it kill a mature tree? Thanks a bunch for the help! These trees certainly sound like a fun project! :)

o

Jackfruit get very root bound. I have 3 of them. 2 in the ground and 1 in a 25 gal pot. You can top them off to keep them small. They don't like any cold temps. You would have to keep the green house warm if you want fruit. They like sun and high humidity. I would put them in the largest pot that you can. Their are many different kinds of jackfruit with different favors and texture.
Good luck to you!
Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here