Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medinilla Magnifica - 5 blooms fell off same time

Posted by WhimsicalChaos SC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 9:07

Hi - 5 blooms/buds (4" ish) fell of with their entire stem still attached. They fell from the main stem/leaf area. Stems wer about 7" long with blooms still attached. What happened? See photo of plant...thank you...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medinilla Magnifica - 5 blooms fell off same time

Too cold?
Too wet?
Where was it when it happened? Was it recently moved or exposed to cold?

Can't see the pot or soil, but from the photo it looks like you have it outside. These plants cannot tolerate cold at all. They are hardy in Zones 10 and 11, so they have to be very well-protected in colder areas. This guy thrives on warmth and cannot take cold nights (or days).

It is a beautiful, beautiful plant. I hope it recovers for you.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

They hate wet feet. Mine is potted in very loose soil. In nature they grow as epiphytes where the water just runs over their roots. Make sure the soil dries out a little. I let mine get very pot bound and added a lot of perlite and a medium orchid bark mix to the potting soil. It likes bright light but not too much direct sun. It does not like cold.

o

Very sensitive to cold and poor drainage, but grown as epiphytes they need a lot of moisture.

o

hi
had that happen many times lol Incredibly sensitive plant .
had much better luck with myriantha but not nearly as glorious ?? If you find a solution please share ?? gary

o

Hi...thanks to everyone and their respomses. After i left the post, i looked inside ome of the blooms and saw that all of the stamens were black...i had only had this plant for a few days, and came to to the conclusion that it had gotten too cold during shipment to the shop my husband had purchased it from. Needless to say, all of the blooms fell off. So, i am now left with a beautiful green plant, and no flowers.

Now i need help figuring out 'how' to possibly get it to re-bloom. Any advice would be so very appreciated.
Thanks to all, and have a lovely afternoon.

P.S. i only sat it outside to take the photo...it resides in my home in a bright window.

o

Hi...thanks to everyone and their respomses. After i left the post, i looked inside ome of the blooms and saw that all of the stamens were black...i had only had this plant for a few days, and came to to the conclusion that it had gotten too cold during shipment to the shop my husband had purchased it from. Needless to say, all of the blooms fell off. So, i am now left with a beautiful green plant, and no flowers.

Now i need help figuring out 'how' to possibly get it to re-bloom. Any advice would be so very appreciated.
Thanks to all, and have a lovely afternoon.

P.S. i only sat it outside to take the photo...it resides in my home in a bright window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here