Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalfreak

Tropical tree farms/nurseries...???

tropicalfreak
18 years ago

are there any tropical tree farms in the area?? looking for flowering trees: geiger, cassia's hong kong orchid tree-red or dark purple, tree ferns, tabebuia-yellow, tower tree, chinese wisteria. that's about all i can come with at moment.

oh yeah, any know where to get a "cliff date palm" and a senegal date palm??

thanks, cliff

Comments (7)

• trini1trini
    18 years ago

Excalibar in Palm Beach county has nice large trees.
    I think Jesse Durko's in Davie may have the palms but they will be very large.

• poiu
    18 years ago

I recently selected and got a tower tree at Excalibur; and I thought when driving around there I did see a few larger P. rupicola in 65 or 100 gal containers.

Geiger Tree is getting mroe common at larger nurseries and also Excalibur has them and HK ORchids, not sure what size,I say 7 or 15 gal size.

Good luck wrestling others for Cassia trees. It's very difficult to locate C. fistula, leptophylla, grandis, etc in all of SE FLorida as they are soooo in demand and with hurricane damage, stock is limited or non-extant.

If you want a tab--I'm assuming you're looking for T. caraiba as compared to chrysotricha? Many of those are field-grown.

I'd honestly just drive around to nurseies one day and stop. YOu can be shocked at some of the things you'll come across in seemingly run-of-the-mill nurseries, and in your case, ones that will sell directly to you retail.

In Loxahatchee off the "LETTER ROADS" you'll find wholesalers that'll sell to you. Plant Factory, Vila and Sons, and they'll refer you to their nursery neighbors if they don't have what you want.

Also, off of Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach, turn south on One Mile Rd (is it?), which is the only "T" stoplight between the Turnpike and 441. All kinds of places in and out and off that main paved road are places. I've seen the most Tabebuia impetiginosa in 7 gal pots I've ever seen in Palm Beach County there recently.

Tree Ferns...well, Excelsa in Loxahatchee has em, but I don't think they'll do random retail to you.

• yacheryl
    18 years ago

Cliff.
    This is one of my favorite nurserys to visit in South Florida.
    He has a lot of tropical trees (and cool plants) at reasonal prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Richard Lyons Nursery

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for the info.
    yacheryl, i've gotta go to richard's now.
    wanna check out excalibur too.

thanks all....cliff

• yacheryl
    18 years ago

We're checking Excalibur out next Friday, Mar 3.
    Taking a day trip to the Flower show
    and plant shopping for the day.

When we go to Lyons, we always ask for a tour.
    We spend a lot of time there.
    All the trees you mentioned are great,
    but he( and now I ) have some great, long time flowering trees, too.
    The marroon jacaranda is a must!
    The yellow abutilon tree has been in flower since Oct.
    I did buy a yellow geiger, I wish I would of bought the white, too.
    He has so many unusal plants.
    My Ichromas have never been out of bloom.
    ......cheryl

• northtexasgirl
    18 years ago

Wow!! I just spent almost an hour drooling over all his, (Richard Lyon's)gorgeous trees on his website. Wish I lived close. Nah, on second thought, it's probably a good thing I don't...we'd probably be filing for bankruptcy. lol

Leona

• ernee
    15 years ago

Lyon's needs to hire a good helper, or four........
    For the best collection-selection and quality call Rick Freund 305-258-2850... Freund Flowering trees.