Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Tropical Hibiscus purchases

Hi all. I love to look at the many photos online of these beautiful flowers. The color combos are amazing. I would love to own one. HVH sure has some beauties. I can handle the $14.99 for the plant, but the shipping takes me way over what I can afford. Can someone recommend another source that would be more affordable for me? Many thanks, Liz

Comments (16)

• kayjones
    10 years ago

The cheapest place I have found is Lowes Home Improvement stores. They charge $14.99 to $19.99 for 3-gallon plants. Most are now carrying the Tropic Escape series, which are just amazing. The blooms are over 10" across and the colors are amazing. Here is a link to Costa Farms, who supply these beauties:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus at Lowes

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

The Walmarts in Jacksonville have had a promotional table in the Garden Center for the past several years with four or five different varieties of plants. Those tables have had 1-2 feet tall hibiscus for around $4.99 each.

Carol in Jacksonville

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I will be looking in Lowe's and Walmart. I love HVH, just can't afford. Thanks again.

10 years ago

Liz, I should have said that the promo table is usually out in mid-summer, I think. (It is not a year-round table.) I will post when I see it this year. I hope you get some!

Carol

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Liz, what size Hibiscus are you seeking?

Tree, bush, braided, single-trunk??

Toni

10 years ago

Liz,

Tropical hibiscus have arrived in Jacksonville. Today, Lowes had full tables of them. They had standards, braided and shrubs and a good variety of colors. They had 1'-2' ones (pretty small) for $4.95.

Carol

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I have found some nice tropical hibiscus at Lowes and H. Depot over the years. I generally buy the named ones from either ebay sellers that are reputable or HVH or somewhere similar.
    I don't think 14.99 - 19.99 is too much to pay for starter plants that are nice named varieties. The ones I've bought from HVH were always nice healthy plants and did well. The shipping is what kills ya lol. If you buy 2 plants at a time instead of one at some places, you can save a little on shipping vs paying separate shipping for each item on separate purchases.

If I see a nice plant at any nursery or store it is always better than ordering online but with tropical hibiscus you are very limited at what you get at the local stores. Of course you do get instant gratification and no shipping and usually a larger plant.

Here are a few nice tropical hibiscus that I have found in big box stores

10 years ago

I almost forgot about this one. Another big box store hit.
    an older one labeled, "The Clown"

10 years ago

SJN, you have some real beauties! Gorgeous!

I have been forever trying to find "Lipstick Pink" or "Pink Lipstick" (seen it both ways). I have had to settle for Seminole Pink and that is pretty close. Would you please let me know if you ever see Lipstick in our area? Thanks!

Carol

10 years ago

I seem to remember seeing the Lipstick a few years ago. I was at Lowes the other day and I looked and didn't see it. A passiflora did hop into my cart though HA!
    I have to go to H. Depo sometime this week so I will look there. I always find better plants at the Big Box stores in Orange Park or Fleming Island than I do around the Jax area for some reason.

10 years ago

SJN, I'm glad you said that about the Orange Park stores. It's been awhile since I have been down that way... a pretty far drive for me but I am going to give it a swing-through in the next few weeks.

By the way, do you have any in-ground hibiscus? If so, how long for them to come back from the roots? I have one of my Pink Seminoles in the ground and I cut it back hard so that I could put a big trashcan over it on the nights we had a hard freeze. It was covered on all such nights but I've seen no sign of life since. I do hope it is going to come back. I just planted it last summer.

Carol (LTY)

10 years ago

I don't have any in ground tropical hibiscus. I can barely keep my tropical ones alive in the greenhouse lol. They seem to be very picky about the cold especially cold and wet..

I am starting a hardy hibiscus collection so I can keep them in the ground and not worry about them. There are some really pretty newer varieties out in the hardies lately. I have a Luna Blush hardy hib in a pot that I leave out and comes back every year with huge blooms. I am going to plant it out this year.
    ~SJN

10 years ago

Yay! My 'Seminole Pink' is coming back from the base. I have 3-4-inch leaves. So we are good. It appears the "big trashcan cover" is a winner - at least in Jacksonville. :)

Carol

• barondesnoy
    10 years ago

This nursery supplies the Cajun Hibiscus to retailers and offers a listing where they can be found. I lost mine to a bad freeze this year, but they were beautiful. You can browse the pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't been on here for a while,, but thanks everyone. I have been checking Lowe's, Walmart, ebay and Home Depot. They are starting to get some really nice ones now here in Charlotte. i just saw some very pretty braided plants. I did buy one plant from HVH -Confection Perfection. Nice, healthy plant. I agree, the HVH prices are fair - it's the darned shipping. Next time, I'll order 2 to save on shipping, LOL. (Good excuse to increase collection). Buying HVH fertilizer was an after thought - but I didn't order it due to shipping. I couldn't justify buying it for one plant. Hopefully, Dyna Gro will due the job.
    SJN, your plants are beautiful. I hope I will be able to find beauties like yours in the big box stores.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

I purchase my tropical hibiscus from Hibiscus Place in Florida. Same price as HVH, but plants are all 6" pot size and usually with buds that bloom within 10 days. He sells out quickly, but keep checking their website.

Lonnie