Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted: Mandevilla germinating info & where to get seeds

Posted by marbles_n_the_garden SE MA Coast Z7 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 08 at 11:46

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. I figure the folks here would know more about this plant. For the last few summers, I 8have bought Mandevilla vine plants. They can be pricey, and I can already tell, I will not be able to afford them this year. I wish to locate some seed for them. I have looked, but to no avail as yet. I also need some sprouting & growing information.

If anyone has seed or knows where to get some, PLMK.

Thank you so much,
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted: Mandevilla germinating info & where to get seeds

Robin, I tried sending you an answer to the question that you emailed me and got a message from yahoo saying that it was undeliverable. Anyhow, I am not sure where to get seeds right now..maybe on the FL or Calif. forums people may have more luck with thier mandevilleas being pollinated thereby have fresh seeds available. They seem to be pollinated better in tropical/subtropical enviornments.

My mandevillea had a pod last year but I didn't get any this year. I think that one pod was due to being pollinated by hawk/hummingbird moths.
You would probably get flowers sooner by starting with a plant. There are lots of online places that sell mandevillas and your Lowes or H. D. may have them come summer. Hope this helps.

o

That is helpful, thank you. I did not think to go on the CA and FL forums to look. I'll give it a try!
Robin

o

I have had the same 2 mandevilla vines growing in large plastic pots that have been growing every sumeer outside. One had a seed pod and that is how I grew the second vine. Took a long time to germinate, and three years before it bloomed. I can overwinter in the greenhouse and clip them back. Once warm enough, outside they go and usually flower quickly. A friend overwinters in the basement..

o

Would you be willing to share seed?
Robin

o

Robin...have you ever shopped at www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com ? They sell Mandevilla for 5.95 ...plants come in 4" growing pots..I've been shopping at Accents several years and have yet to be disappointed. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here