Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Kedrostis africana and Kedrostis nana

karyn1
14 years ago

Is anyone familiar with these plants, specifically starting them from seed? I have seeds of both but was wondering if they should be nicked or soaked, neither or both? I posted on the seed starting forum but didn't get any info. The seeds aren't like most cucurbits. They are small, round and have a hard seed coat. The person that replied on the other forum was under the impression that these seeds were like most cucumber or gourd seeds, flat and tear drop shaped.

Comments (7)

• saesha
    14 years ago

Well, I couldn't view the image :( Please check your thread and re-post it with the image.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saesha Flowers

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I never posted an image. Why don't you go away and stop spamming GW. Nobody wants your junk and you're not even a member of WF&FSA.

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Karyn,

How funny that the spammer chose a post that has a very limited audience. I wonder how many people actually read it.

Did you have any luck with these seeds?

One source of advice that I forgot is J.L. Hudson. They sell a few strange cucurbits and are incredibly helpful. They test their seeds for germination, so they know their stuff. I bought one cucurbit from them last year, Cucumis sp. Sudan, that had the strange property that it switched from being a slow and tough germinator to being a quick germinator. What a happened in that case was that the seeds needed to age to germinate easily. I also bought Coccinia sesilifolia from them, another cucurbit, and I did get a few of those to germinate. A lot of these are tough or slow seeds (and J.L. Hudson makes that clear). They are are a great company and I recommend them highly.

Here is a link that might be useful: J.L. Hudson, Seedsman

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't started them yet. I'll probably try a few different methods. JL Hudson doesn't have these varieties but I've been buying seed from them for many years. Besides having a wide variety of seeds they are a great resource for germination info.

• marianew
    13 years ago

Hi Karyn,
    Recently, I bought kedrostis africana seeds from ebay, and I would like to know the experience of others, since the germination and planting instruction they sent me are very poor.
    What have you done with your seeds? Have you succeeded a nice plant?

I have to mention that I live in Greece with zone 9.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had no luck with either of the varieties and tried several different methods. I'm not sure if it was me or just poor quality seeds. I bought a few other varieties from the same vendor and had zero germination from those as well and they were varieties that I'd grown before and are fairly easy to germinate.

• marianew
    13 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear that..
    what a pity.
    Well my vendor told me that the seeds need standard cactus soil, to sow them just under the soil surface, water and keep them warm.. Not to let them dry out and that a heated propagator is ideal..
    Nothing else..
    If you have any other idea please, let me know.
    Perhaps March is better period, since there is higher temperature and longer sunny periods.

Thank you,
    Maria