Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moringa ovalifolia seeds/plants

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 13:02

I will be getting a small order of Moringa Ovalifolia seeds, and would like to know if there's any special trick to germinating these seeds?

Soak 24 hours in warm water, sow, bottom heat, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've read that these plants are very fast growing.

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moringa ovalifolia seeds/plants

I've not tried germinating these. My tree drops pods several time during the year and these break apart on the ground but I have never seen a seedling. Propagation here is by large cuttings (branches, really) just stuck in the ground. The tree is very fast growing with pulpy wood of little strength. Most growers here keep the tree cut to bush size with regular mowings. The leaves and flowers are used in salads and some soups. I would be happy to send seed when they next ripen.

o
RE: Moringa ovalifolia seeds/plants

Frank,

I just started working on to gereminate some moringa seeds 2 weeks ago by 2 methods. First I soaked the seed for 24hrs in luke warm water then planted some seeds 1inch deep in peat/perite medium and placed the pot on heating vent. Out of 6 seeds, 3 germinated and I can see small white stem above soil. Few seeds after soaking in water I placed them in a ziploc bag and placed it above refrigerator. They all sprouted with root/stem that I will be planting tomorrow in a pot. Both methods worked for me, after they get some leaflets I will post the pic here. Please note that they are not getting any direct sunlight until leaves grown on the seedlings. I heard that the plants grow very fast to 3-4ft in 1year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here