Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrel_girl

overwintering Jasmine

squirrel_girl
16 years ago

I have a star jasmine that I am struggling to overwinter in MI. She is losing leaves left and right. She is starting to put out a little new growth lately. What should I be doing now to help her get healthy for spring, new leaves, and reblooming?

Comments (4)

• ankraras
    16 years ago

There are two types of Jasmine referred by the same common name "Star Jasmine". Which one do you have? Are there leaves at the end of each stem? How much light does it receive? How often do you water?

{{gwi:68416}}

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know which kind of Star Jasmine I have. DH says he is giving her 8-10 oz. of water every week. She was sitting in a Southwest facing window until a few days ago (another plant needed a turn in the sun). The problems with leaf drop have been going on for months. I would say she has lost 50% of her leaves. The jasmine has tiny leaves starting to emerge from the tip of each stem.

Thank you for the help you can give.

• ankraras
    16 years ago

We are dealing double blind here, lol. Is it possible to post a photo? Or you may want to try an image search with a search engine just to see if one of the images match your plant.

I have noticed a bit of what I would consider an improper watering issue here. In general Jasmine prefer to partly dry out between watering. Most Jasmine I have found like to be well watered with each and every watering then let the top soil dry out slightly between watering. Much like in nature, it doesn't automatically rain a little once a week.

Loss of leaves can also be due to daylight reduction, the less light the plant receives the more leave loss it will. More than a few jasmine badly dislike the cold, especially house draft air blowing directly on or near them.

Think about the cultural conditions as mentioned above. Make the necessary adjustments and I am certain the plant will show positive signs of improvement soon.

Supannee

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Supannee, Thank you for all the help you have given. I'm a technical dunce when it comes to posting pictures. One of these days I will learn. If DH didn't have the flu right now, I might have made today the day.

Trachelospermum jasminoides is the latin name. It appears I have been trying to kill her. If you approve, here is the new plan:

Lots of water every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks with a change of location. Which window do you think is best for her?

1) Current: 67 degrees, near heat vent, large Southwest facing window.
    2) Basement: 56 degrees, large Southwest facing doorwall (maximum light)
    3) Office: 67-75 degrees, large Northeast facing window.

Can I give her some fertilizer now? Bloom fertilizer, or leaf fertilizer?