Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlantis_gw

Tacca/Bat flower leaves drooping & no new growth

atlantis
16 years ago

I purchased a beautiful, full grown, flowering black bat. Now, after a year, all the leaves are drooping/hanging down instead of growing upright like when I bought it. It is potted (not root bound) & in the shade with plenty of air flow. Temp varies somewhat now that it is "winter" but the leaves were drooping prior to cooler weather. I haven't seen any new growth either. Any suggestions? Thanks. B.

Comments (22)

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

Taccas tend to go semi-dormant in the winter. Let the plant rest and water less often.

• atlantis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks - that will be easy! I like that.

• BigL
    10 years ago

Hi all.

Please help me.

I bought a Tacca three days ago and the leaves started to hang down i watered it almost every day. He is on a place where it doesn't get direct sunshine but there is a lot of light. It has two gorgeous flowers too..

Please give me some advice what i should do,i don't wanna lose it. :(

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Do you have a photo? It may be too much water. What sort of soil do you have it in?

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I have one which is flowering now. It has two flowers open and 3 fat buds which are starting to open.

I grow it in a pot under a large oak tree. It gets full, early morning sun and direct late day sun. I discovered it can take more light than recommended.

It is potted in Miracle Gro mixed with small wood bark (orchid bark), sphag and perlite mixed in. Very free draining but holds moisture due to the sphag and MG.

I fertilize with Foliar Gro or Orchid fertilizer. It has tripled in size in less than a year and is beautiful. I potted it because it doesn't like cold weather and I will bring it in the house during cold spells.

I put a tomato cage over it to keep squirrels from climbing on it and digging up the plant (they did in Spring!).

Just love the whiskers!

Jane

• tillandsiaKB
    10 years ago

A little late, but my Tacca has been doing great up until the heat turned on in my flat. Stuck it in the bathroom with the shower on and it perked up. Drooping is possibly humidity related.

• opa_rumple
    10 years ago

Hi everyone,
    have found many useful and great information on this board and recently I subscribed to participate in the discussion.

I have also some problems with my Tacca and looking for some advises. I bought a blooming Tacca about 5 month ago and I am almost fine with it. I keep it in the living room at a birght spot without direct sun light. the temperature is about 75 degrees and I try to keep the humidity level at around 50 % (very hard during the winter).

The plants reacts when it gets to dry or if I do not water enough by dropping the leaves but the plats recovers nicely after some water.

Now my problem is that a lot of new leaves are growing but they have all the tendency that the tips are dried out and once they reached about 10 inches the entire leaf is wrinkled and dried up. The old leaves are doing fine and have no sign of becoming brown. But I cannot make any new leaves grow and stay healthy and green.

I assume that my humidity level is still a little bit too low but there might by any other reasons. Any help or shared experience are greatly appreciated.

Best
    Sven

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

@ opa_rumple: I'm thinking its the humidity too low.

• opa_rumple
    10 years ago

I was afraid that it would be that. It will be hard to raise the level. I have to see how long the plant will survive...

Thank you for your opinion.

• grandy3
    10 years ago

I started growing mine in the house by a window with sheers and it didn't do good at all, yours sounds like the same problem I had. Took it outside under my orange tree and it has been doing great ever since. Light may be the problem as they will take more light than you read about. Just no heat of the mid day, early or late full sun and filtered during the day is working for me. And BTW is stays out all year, if it ever gets in the 30s I'll bring it in for that time and then back out again.

• opa_rumple
    10 years ago

Thanks grandy,
    I will put the plant outside in a bright but shady place once it gets a little bit more warmer here. It would be great if it works.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Not many bat flower threads! Got mine in the mail today, I'm excited! It's just a baby! I hope it lives to grow tall and proud and beautiful :-D

• nicholas_watson
    8 years ago

Hi All,

I recently brought a Black Bat Flower from the local nursery.

It has doubled in size since I've brought it. Its in a large pot (The plant isn't root bound) and has been truly happy with its position indoors, and has three flowering flowers.

I went to water it this morning and noticed the flower and plant is all limp and flower is only half way through its cycle and is bending over.

Does anyone know what this is from?

Please help.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

First thought that comes to mind is it's not getting enough water. If the soil is too soggy it can show the same symptoms as soil being too dry. Rotting roots can prevent the plant from taking up sufficient water, just like dry soil.

• In2florafauna
    8 years ago

Yes, a plant that is rotting and/or has a root fungus, will wilt, just as in soil that is too dry. You will know which condition applies after you water. If the plant remains wilted, an application ( soil drench) of fungicide can sometimes keep the fungus from killing the entire root system.

• b_kier
    7 years ago

If it has a root fungus will reporting it help? Don't think mine is root bound. Leaves nice and green but all wilted. Think we over watered it.

• b_kier
    7 years ago

I actually meant will repotting it help? It was a beautiful plant and all of a sudden became all wilted. HELP!

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Repotting gives you the opportunity to check the root system and what the soil is like underneath.

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    7 years ago

b_kier, your Tacca is in a beautiful pot, but does it have a drain hole? I learned the hard way that they like a lot of water, fast draining soil, and positively must be in a pot with good drainage. I even went so far as to put the large pot in a plant holder so it had air circulation under the pot. Taccas are fussy but once you get it right they will be stunning.

Linda Leaf

• HU-898532672
    4 years ago

Hi, I have 2 Tacca 1 black and the other white, when do I cut the during flowers off??? I waited and till they are really finished then cut. My black ones don't stand up they seem to spread a bit but have had plenty of flower. My white only 2 the first ones they stand up until the flowering finished. I have added a few photos. My green leaves seem to go brown at end and the die off....any help would be appreciated. Regards 6

• HU-854151032
    3 years ago

Why is my Bat flowers getting smaller? The first one was a good sized now they are tiny.