Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting crotons

Posted by avalon1900 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 14:24

Does anyone know if large, fully established crotons can be transplanted without killing them? We just bought a house, and the previous owners planted beautiful crotons, but most of them are in inconvenient or awkward places in the garden - the placement appears to have been random, and without any idea of how large the plants actually get.
Any advice appreciated. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting crotons

Yes they can, and the larger a rootball you can manage, the better the transplant. They will need a lot of water for first few months, and expect a lot of leaf drop.

Or, crotons can be pruned back hard and they will rejuvenate. I imagine a lot of naked branches with leaves just on top, right? cut the branches back to about 12-18" BELOW the height you would want a croton in that spot to be at. They will be naked for a couple months, but with spring soon, they will break new buds from the naked stumps quickly.

Transplanting any NOW would be best, as it's a bit cooler and the sun isn't fully intense.

o

All correct advice up until the last line. Crotons do not form new roots when the night time air temp is below 70 degrees. Wait a few more weeks, until we get out of these annoying cold spells, and then follow longwood's directions.

If you do dig the entire plant from the ground, you will need to water it every day, for about 3 weeks. Then every other day for about 3 weeks.

o

thanks for the help. I'll wait until it's warm and let you know how it goes. There are 8 of them that need to be moved. There is a ninth one that I would like to move, but I think I might need a backhoe for it... it's huge.

I know that they can endure severe pruning. I just didn't know if they could take being totally removed from very established positions. The 40-year old crotons in front of my father's house were "pruned" by hurricane Andrew, and they all came back. They were tipped over, defoliated, and hacked back, but not blown out as most bushes were. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here