Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_g8tr

need Assistance with Neglected Mango Trees

garden_g8tr
15 years ago

I have 2 mango trees on my property which have not been properly pruned for a few years. The smaller one appears to be bisexual as only one half is blooming. The half that has no blooms is the only side that has shown new growth in 3 years. This tree has produced two mangos in 3 years. Should I cut off the side that doesn't bloom in order to direct growth to the side that does? How else can I promote growth and is there an explanation regarding the orientation of this peculiar tree?

The larger tree has shown new growth this past year and is blooming for the first time in 3 years however, only about half of it has blooms and its cycle is much weaker or further behind than the rest of the mango trees in our neighborhood. Even if I am blessed to get fruit on this tree for the first time this year, I don't think that the long, skinny branches will be able to support the weight of the fruit. I would like to top this tree to reduce the height, prune it in a way to encourage growth for a stronger, fuller foundation for future fruit production. Any ideas how this can be accomplished? I live in Palm Beach County (FL), when can I start pruning? How should I prune these long skinny branches?

P.S. - How do you post photos?

Comments (2)