Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help Please and Care Info on new Plant

Posted by jojosplants Az Z9 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 14:59

Hi,
I'm new to tropicals! (and house plants in general) I was Home Depot today and just couldn't resist this plant! It was so different!! Kinda reminds me of a moose or elk. Any help with it's ID and care would be greatly appriaciated! The first picture is it on top of my printer, to kinda give you a idea of the size of this plant! And the "brown table" is a TV tray.

Thanks!
JoJo

Photobucket

Here's a close up of a leaf with the sun, it has interesting viens.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's growing out of this really odd paper like pod!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help Please and Care Info on new Plant

Hi Jojo,

The plant you have has a common name of elkhorn fern and is a native of the eastcoast rainforests of Australia. Normally it is grown as an epiphyte on the trunk or branch of a tree. I think it should be in a bright but out of direct sun and fed with half strength fertilizer fortnightly in the growing season. Do not over water in the winter otherwise the crown may rot. Another common fern of this type is the staghorn fern.

Good luck as it may be hard to keep this plant in an airconditioned home as it likes a bit of humidity.

Hope this helps.

John

o

Hi John,
Thank you for your help!
Hubby came home, took one look at it and asked if he should put a tag on it..LOL~

My cat isn't too sure what to think of it either. :)

I'm in Tucson, Arizona, fairly low humidity compared to the rest of the country. It does get up there in the summer.

We don't have AC in our home, so maybe it will do O.K. It was actually raised in a nursury here in AZ too, so it's fairly used to this climate.

You live in the one place in this world I would visit, if I wasn't afraid to fly. ;)

JoJo

o

Oh my God.....I always wanted an Elk Horn to hang on my walls...lol

I can only imagine what your husband said...lol..

To think you didn't have to go hunting to get such a prized beauty! I almost bought one last week..They are so cool Jojo..

Because you bought it in a place that is use to the climate, it should do awsome for you..You have so many places you could put it in your warm climate...Are you starting amass a ton of plants Jojo?

Mike..:-)

o

Hi Mike!

Thanks! I just love it, it's so odd! LOL!
I hope it does well.. :)

Hubby certianly looked puzzled.. I think he's worried I went off the deep end..ROFL!!

JoJo

o

heres my staghorn on the side of my house, pics are dark its 8pm here

they like shade, water and banana peels

o

Hi Mango,
Thank you for posting. Which direction is it facing.? The only good spot I have outside is facing west, and has a awning .

I did read they like banana peels. we eat plenty here., not a problem. :)

JoJo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here