Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cattman_gw

Soursop - seedling or grafted?

cattman
18 years ago

For those of you who have tasted soursop, I wanted to get some opinions on whether plants grown from seed produce good fruits or if it would be best to hunt down a grafted tree for better fruit.

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• patusho25
    18 years ago

I have never tasted a soursop from a grafted tree and they all are very sweet.

• greentitan
    18 years ago

Soursop tree will die below 40 degrees.

• cattman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the replies -- Patusho, that's very reassuring and will help me in my search. Greentitan, thanks for the caution but I've got the temps situation covered and am already raising atemoya here in Atlanta.

Thanks again!

• jollop
    18 years ago

It will never take hold in Atlanta, barely able here in Miami! This year we had a mild winter so lots of Soursops! Best of luck, plus it's a huge tree! I've grafted them but, they flower and set fruit in about two years from seeds so it's not worth it. There are sweet varities (eating) and a sour type (used to make a milk and ice drink which is really good). Best of luck!

• tiffaneyga
    18 years ago

Cattman,
    I live here in Atlanta and I have a grafted soursop and a sweetsop that I ordered from Mikey's Plant World on Ebay. He's very reliable and his plants come in excellent condition.

And yes, these plants can live in Atlanta (indoor in the winter) and outdoor in the summer. My soursop has produced fruit but they usually drop off (I don't know why).

Good luck!
    TiffaneyGA

• Eggo
    18 years ago

hey my soursops planted in the ground made it through winter here in So. California. woohoo!

• cattman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Many thanks to all of you for replying to my post! TiffaneyGA, your growing technique (indoor in winter/outdoor in summer) is what I do for my little atemoyas. I would guess the fruit drop is one of three things: a mineral deficiency, a lack of heat or humidity at some stage in the growing, or the plant running too dry at some point. If I manage to work this out, I will post the solution here on the Tropicals forum!

Again, thanks to all of you!

• siafu
    18 years ago

Cattman,

Your soursop may be dropping the fruit because it may be too much of a strain for its size.

Either let the plant grow a little more before allowing it to fruit, or remove all the fruits except one.

But it could be one of the other things you pointed out...

• Eggo
    18 years ago

You got mail Cagary. My soursops has since almost completely defoliated during this cold month. The good thing is that the limbs are still very firm, and very little dieback, mostly on a few centimeters of the tip. It had shown signs of a growth flush on all the buds but has completely stopped. Good thing is that the buds are still alive.

• racor_2006
    18 years ago

Calgary,

I'm currently growing a Soursop in Southern California and I'm looking for a source to purchase another one. I have sent you an email to see if you can give send me the name of your source.

• northtexasgirl
    18 years ago

Cagary, I also sent you an email regarding the source you found but haven't heard from you.

Leona

• rdblanco
    17 years ago

my soursop or guanabana as we call it here doesnt produce fruit; the bud opens then dies and falls. the tree is only 2-3 years old, we think its needed to be pollinized but we arent sure. any suggestions?

Robert
    Miami, fl

• aroideana
    17 years ago

Soursops are usually very tropical , I tried for 10 years in warm sub-tropical Queensland and never got fruit .
    So its not worth trying, even in Florida .
    You will grow the tree , but never get fruit .
    The 'Fibreless' cultivars do not seem to set any fruit , but seedling plants bear easily in 2-3 years . I have several trees planted out , as this is one of my favourite fruits.

• jhl1654
    17 years ago

I had an inground soursop tree in zone 10 fl that did produce nice size fruits until hurricane Andrew killed it

• jhl1654
    17 years ago

I had an inground soursop tree in zone 10 fl that did produce nice size fruits until hurricane Andrew killed it

• cocomo
    17 years ago

I have soursop(Annona muricata) seeds for trade if anyone is interested. Also have some from another realive known locally as "corazón" = heart fruit, (Annona reticulata). Please e-mail directly to set up a trade.

• Barb2013
    10 years ago

I live in California and would like to grow my own Soursop tree. I can't find a single place where they would sell it and I know it's a very good fruit. Can anyone give me directions on how and where to start with growing my own tree? Please. I live in Palmdale. Hot in the summer very cold in the winter. A lot of wind. If you can even tell me of a place where they sell this fruit, I would appreciate that information as well. Thank you all ahead of time. Bless you all.

• OCchris
    10 years ago

Hey Barb,
    I bought one at Mimosa Nursery in East L.A last spring and the last time I was there was July and they had tons of them (3 feet tall or so). I also saw one at Flowerdale Nursery in Orange and one at Upland Nursery also in Orange (2 weeks ago). Good luck.
    Best regards, Chris

• lucha2014
    9 years ago

My soursop trees are grown from seeds. I brought the seeds from Colombia and currently have 2 trees. Great fruits, my family loves it. I have a friend that makes tea out of the leaves for anti cancer. I just love the fruit.

• Tropical Gardener
    9 years ago

Some Old School moms make frozen ices out of it in rural Puerto Rico

• Kyna Lim
    8 years ago

anyone got fiberless soursop seeds to spear? Please let me know. thanks.

• Maria Osorio
    7 years ago

Those who have asked where to purchase the fruit. I live in Santa Ana Ca. And I just purchased one for $21 at Northgate Market. Edinger and Harbor. I have never tasted it so thats why I justified spending so much on one fruit. Hope i like it and hope the seeds germinate for me.

• johnnyk08
    6 years ago

do "tropic" plants need humidity?

• nermaintenance
    6 years ago

I live in Trinidad West Indies where we have two seasons Rain an sun its the best conditions to grow Soursop , I hatch seeds easily , the reason why your trees don't bear fruit or the flowers fall off is due to nutrient the soil is lacking which can be replace by certain chemical for plants , I am a farmer an I grow Soursop on a large scale. Feel free to contact me on my email or phone ±18682682171

• Holly Hodell
    last year

whats the email?

• Holly Hodell
    last year

do you do "whatsapp" ??

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living