Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gloriosa rothschildiana

Posted by martina7 Vienna Austria (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 17:12

i bought a gloriosa rothschildiana in amsterdam last summer - far too late so i planted it hydroponic. it is not doing too well so i think i will let it dry soon. i don't expect the bulb to be very much.
it had two blossoms - and now i have a bunch of seeds. can anybody tell me what to do with them? plant them now? wait until spring? or do both? there are about 20 seeds that look healthy to me!

best regards and thank you!
martina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gloriosa rothschildiana

My store bought seeds sprouted in about 10 days and I doubt they were fresh - probably years old! Every seed in the packet sprouted too. So I think if you have seeds you can either store them to plant later or sow them now - they should do fine either way.

If your plant grew and bloomed and then set fruit then it is doing fine. Maybe the "not doing too well" is just it going to sleep for the winter - a rest period they seem to need. I grow mine in fairly dry soil so maybe you can set your up with less water exposure to keep it happy. But it sounds fine to me.

o
RE: gloriosa rothschildiana

yup, John knows his gloriosa :) Sounds just like mine :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here