Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

jasmine seed

ymaddox
12 years ago

I started some jasmine seed in a clear plastic cup with holes in bottom and put in ziploc bag as if you would winter sow but i put over vent in the house to allot for warmth. what i did not do was soak the seed prior to planting. will this be a problem. should i take the seed back out and soak for a bit. they have been planted since 1/17 with no signs of germination, i read however it can take up to a month to germinate. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Comments (15)

• kayjones
    12 years ago

What kind of Jasmine are you trying to grow? I have several different ones in my yard, and if it's one I have, I can send you cuttings - maybe even rooted cuttings.

As for your question, they will need to at least be germinated in moist seed starting mix. If you didn't moisten the starter mix and didn't soak the seeds, it will be the same as if they were still in a package.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Like the previous poster said it depends on the type of jasmine. I've never started true jasmine from seed, just cestrums, mandavilla laxa and orange jasmine. Pre-soaking those seeds isn't necessary but the potting mix must be lightly moistened. If the seeds that you planted have a hard, thick, seed coat you might consider digging them up and if they look ok go ahead and nick and soak them. Otherwise I'd just wait and see.

• ifraser25
    12 years ago

The best way to propagate jasmine is by layering ( pushing a young shoot under the ground). From seed it takes forever and is not very reliable ( ie. you stand a high chance of losing the seedlings). - Ian.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I agree with Ian. I start my true jasmines by air layering or from cuttings.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kay trying to grow night fragrant jasmine and orange jasmine. the soil is moist and has been kept moist...so guess we will see :)

• audrey_gw
    12 years ago

By night fragrant and orange jasmine, do you mean cestrum nocturnum and murraya paniculata? If so, cestrum usually germinates pretty rapidly--8 to 10 days--if sowed on the surface of the soil, but may take longer if covered. Murraya took about 16 days for me. The true jasmines generally take at least as long as murraya.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

Cestrum nocturnum and the sambac jasmines are super easy to root. I stick about 15 cuttings into rooting hormone and put them in a 1 gal. pot full of potting soil,in the greenhouse to overwinter and they root right up. I have rooted the pink jasmine pretty easily as well. The one I have trouble with is my Indian night jasmine (Nycanthes arbor trystis- not a true jasmine either but fragrant at night). I did get some seeds from it last year. It bloomed alot this year but no seeds for some reason. Pollinators must not of been there... It is about 6 ft tall now. Last year I cut it back quite a bit in the spring and it flowered better than it did this year when I didn't cut it back.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thus far no germination :(. Not sure the true name they was sent to me as night jasmine and Orange jasmine. I could kick myself for not soaking them first...think I have more Orange jasmine. How long should soak them for? And in hot or cold water? My amaryllis has shot up bout three inches on a brighter note :)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I never bother soaking orange jasmine seeds unless they still have the red pulp on them and it's dried. Then I'll soak them to soften the pulp so it can be removed. I just plant them and keep them warm. They usually take about 3 weeks to germinate for me.

• savy4
    9 years ago

I just bought the orange jasmine seeds. And I soak the seeds for about 24 hours like the instructions say. Let see how long will it take to germinate. But I was wondering how long will it take for the seedling to produce flowers?

• Abid Raza Toronto Canada
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I bought jasmine seeds from china on eBay and found out that they were not jasmine seeds at all. Currently these are available on Walmart and amazon too. On amazon sellers are again from the same country, the Walmart I am not sure from which country seeds are coming. I don't know from where I can buy these with surety that they will be genuine seeds.

• hala2012
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I ordered jasmine seeds on Amazon, but due to Covid19, the package was 3 weeks late, but finally arrived. It is from China/ no ID - only says white jasmine flower seeds/fragrant. I soaked them overnight and planted on the surface of potting soil in a pot and kept in shade outside. That was July 22/2020 and today is Aug 2/2020, nothing yet, will wait and see 😏🤨

• hala2012
    3 years ago

Will do - thanks Abid!

• Abid Raza Toronto Canada
    3 years ago

I have also bought same seeds from amazon but have not arrived yet. Let me know if your seeds grow and plants are jasmine. I will update you too about my seeds. thanks

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm