Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf orange bird of paradise???

Posted by port_a_bella z9 AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 17:46

hi there... i was at target, the other day, and they had some of their bop labled as dwarf orange bird of pardadise. has anyone heard of this? how tall do they get?
thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf orange bird of paradise???

i dont think there is such a thing.
BOP,s start out small,flower small,but always grow full size!
6 feet plus
they do remain,however small for a long while,if obtained small

o

It grows wider, rather than taller. I think (forgive my spelling) it's call strezelina regina whereas the white (and tall one) is strezelina nicola. I'm probably a mile off with my spelling but maybe it'll give you a place to start with google. The orange BOP seems to form nice, thick clumps about 2 feet tall.

o

Hi
Wanna run faster may be correct especially from a box store but here are several subspecie of the orange BOP.
Strelitzia regina "juncea comes to mind as well as the all yellow type. My neighbors have one that stays well under 3 feet tall while mine is around 8. Flowers are identical but mine are held within the foliage while theirs are held above. Leaves are much smaller with shorter petioles.
There are also several hybrid but don't think you'd find them at Target
gary

o

wow!! thanks everyone... i guess i'll just put them in the ground and see what happens. i just hope that they don't get too big for the area they're in. are their roots very invasive?
--wanna run faster... don't worry about your spelling. i'm horrible at it myself.
thanks,
kim

o

I purchased Dwarf bird of paradise seeds at Epcot.
The plant is now 6 years old. I grow it in a very large container here in central florida in full sun. It is very wide however it is only 3ft tall. After the 4th year it has produced 8 - 10 flowers each year. It even surprised me in 2008 when it produced 2 extra in november.
I water it once a week, about 4 gallons that have been soaking in peat moss and Cultivated Manure. Around the rim of the container I have planted Nasturtuims, they drape down and cover the pot. In Daytona Beach if your driving down Atlantic ave the city uses the dwarf BOP's as landscaping in the center divide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here