Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Lychee trees blooming now

bananafan
11 years ago

My 5 lychee trees are all blooming now. They were badly damaged in the past cold spells, but this has been a warm winter and they've grown a lot bigger. I'm hoping to see how their blooms will turn up. For the last few years, whenever they bloomed, some kind of bugs came to destroy them all. I'll download some pix when I have more time.

Any one here has their lychees blooming yet?

Comments (2)

• Carlincooling
    11 years ago

My Brewster is also blooming. Hopefully we will have a good crop this year.
    Post some pics of what was eating it. Over the past few years I have had major problems with Sri-Lanka weevils. They have been eating the leaves of my lychees, mangos and citrus and jackfruit.
    I sprayed with benifical nematodes, but I see little change.
    Good luck to you.
    Kevin

• bananafan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Kevin,

I apologize for the late reply. I did not see your post until just now. Actually, after starting this thread, I decided I should post the similar thing in Tropical Fruits and I never checked back here.

Firstly, I'm glad to hear that your Brewster is also blooming. How old is your tree now? My Brewster must be between 5-7 years old since the time I bought it, it must be 2-3 years old at least. I did post pictures of it in Tropical Fruit forum.

What seems to be eating my plant is a moth-like creature. It hides itself in a web. I often find clusters of web balls wrapped around the blooms. When that happens, the blooms will drop off and eventually the entire pinncle too. I have spotted some earlier and destroyed them. So far, I don't see a lot of activities yet. I did do a little reading and came up with some info on web worm. It is mostly likely it. I think the reason it is not so aggressive now could be due to the frigety weather condition here--one day warm and the next a cold snap. So that's good ... at least the cold snap serves some purpose. I'm only worried when the warm weather starts to roll in, they will resume their destruction. I just have to keep my fingers crossed. I did also post a picture of the creature in Tropical Fruit under the same heading.

I'm sorry about your problem with Sri-Lanka weevils. I'm not surprised I have this problem because I do see some of the lychee leaves and citrus leaves being chewed up. What I'm more concerned about my citrus trees is the HBL (Asian psyllid) causing the citrus greening disease now in wide spread throughout FL.

How's your Brewster doing now? Do you have a picture to show? I do certainly hope all our lychee trees will bear fruit this year without further harrassment from all the pests.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting