Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria Information

Posted by love.peace.herbs 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 18:15

I have posted this message also in the Plumeria section.

I am looking to start a Plumeria in Kansas and would eventually take it with me to Seattle Washington this year. I would love to know more about the plant and how to grow it in doors. I understand it is a tropical plant and usually grown down in a hotter climate. Also does anybody know where I should look for a cutting or a plant itself? Information about fertilization, growth, lighting and any other information is wanted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria Information

Hi
Since nobody else jumped in ,my two cents. I grow both evergreen and deciduous plumeria but out in the yard, They are very lowland tropical, sensitive down to frost hard freeze fatal. . Easy to grow if you can keep the temps up though indoors light might be a problem..They also get very large and drop leaves during winter except for the EG"S.
Very easy to start from cuttings though care is needed to prevent rot during rooting.
I think if I were going for a Houseplant I'd choose a smaller earlier blooming type. Probably your only source for plants would be mail order?? gary

o

They like drier soil(I use a cactus mix with added vermiculite) and sunny. Mine are starting to come out of dormancy. I just recieved a fully rooted and leafed out Dwarf Singapore from Logee's yesterday- it feels like cheating, but it's instant gratification. That may be a good option for you- it wasn't too expensive. Good Luck in your endeavors!
(I usually check out the Plummie forum, but I happened to see you question here)

o

They grow very fast indoors-I had mine grow leaves 16" long, a dark green. But when it got really warm indoors the spider mites were ferocious. They need good air movement indoors-warm stuffy rooms dont cut it. Sunlight,and a good quiet indoor fan would be perfect.

o

OK..... thanks... I didn't even know there were two types: evergreen and deciduous. Wow, now I feel stupid. I used to wonder why some people in my vicinity had leaves all year, while I did not. Time for more web-searching.

Wonderful tips, Gary!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here