Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanman_gw

flower identification

vanman
16 years ago

Hello, first I have to say I'm not a big garden person but I found a plant/flower/bush that has intriqued me but I can't seem to find out what type it is. I was hoping someone here can help me with this problem. I've put a couple pictures below showing what it looks like. I took it off a bush like plant that had about 200 of them on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Mike

{{gwi:1305385}}

{{gwi:1305386}}

Comments (14)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Maybe some type of hibiscus? It's very pretty whatever it is.
    Karyn

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Would guess either some type of Hibiscus but more likely Abutilon,flowering maple.. Both are bush or tree forms but the FM tends to not open completely as your pic. There are also hibicus that do this also though lol
    There are something like 800 Hibiscus and equal number of FM so take your pick lol. gary

• vanman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into some different Hibicus types. At least you 2 were able to narrow it down some..lol. If either of you happen to find a name shoot it my way as I will do the same for you :)

Mike

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Mike you might want to post this photo on the "Name This Plant" forum. If you can get a pic of the foliage that should also help in the identification. I'd check back periodically and see if you can collect a few seed pods. Abutilons and hibiscus both produce seed pods that are easy to collect. If you do manage to get any seeds and have extras I'd love to trade you for some. If the plant is located somewhere that you can get permission to take some cuttings you should be able to root them.
    Karyn

• vanman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually the plant is located at a friend of mines house. Its about 8' tall and very round and has at least a hundred or more of these things hanging on it. I really don't know much about plants and such so what would these pods look like? I'm sure I can get some cuttings. Is this something easy to do? I would be more then happy to send you some seeds/pods once I know what they look like :). I will also get more/better pictures and try my luck in that other forum. Thanks again

Mike

• karyn1
    16 years ago

If it's either of the plants mentioned a roundish pod will develop where the flower drops. When it's brown and dry the seeds are ripe. Cuttings should be easy to root. Take some stems of new wood (not the soft green growth) that are about 5" long. Strip off all but the top couple leaves and any buds. Dip the bottom of the stem in rooting powder and place in moist well draining soiless mix. Stick the whole thing in a plastic bag in indirect light somewhere warm. Make sure the soil is moist, not wet. They should develop roots in about 6 weeks. Here's a link to some pics of hibiscus seed pods.
    Karyn
    http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/image?query=hibiscus%20seed%20pod

• islandpete
    16 years ago

Japanese lantern

• karyn1
    16 years ago

It does look like some type of hibiscus but the Hibiscus schizopetalus (Japanese Lantern) has fringed pink petals.
    Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: japanese lantern

• zubababy
    16 years ago
  • jax_fan
    16 years ago

That is the flower from a flowering Maple tree

• jeelli
    16 years ago

The flower looks like Abutilon, or flowering Maple. If that's what you have, then the foliage should be shaped like maple leaves, a lighter shade of green, and soft(?). If that is Hibiscus, the leaves should be glossy, and a color like citrus leaves, maybe even the same texture.

• jules127
    16 years ago

Definitely Japanese Lantern

• edleigh7
    16 years ago

Definitely Abutilon, common name over here is Chinese Lantern.

Ed

• manure_shoes
    16 years ago

I would love to trade for seeds/ cuttings. I have plumeria cuttings of many colors.