Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit ID help please

Posted by socalgardengal 10 San Diego Ca (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 19:22

My hubby brought me a bag of fruit and the guy he got them from does not know what they are. He said they were a japanese rare fruit. They are absolutely delicious! To me they look like an asian pear but the seeds don't match up. Then I started looking online and found Santol. The fruit doesn't quite look the same.
There are 4 seeds in each fruit around 1 1/2" X 2". They look like miniture mango seeds. The fruit is the size of a baseball. Unfortunately my hubby did not take a pic of the tree. Here are a few pics of the fruit. Thank you for any info. I'm starting a few seeds just for the heck of it :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit ID help please

It looks a little like white sapote....

o
RE: Fruit ID help please

I've not seen either in person but in does look more like the photos I've seen of the white sapote. Where did your husband encounter these? You guys in socal get a lot more tropical fruit in the stores, but we have plenty of asian markets here in SF, maybe I can find some???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here