Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boastyboy

How to germinate a mango seed

Boastyboy
19 years ago

Hi,

I was just wondering how I should germiante a mango seed. I have planted two within the last two weeks, but ahve noticed mould has builded up on the seed. I planted the seed in compost, and them placed in a bag, and put it on the bathroom floor, directly above the heater down stairs.

I am thinking about trying the Avocado water method, and also cracking or cutting the seed open to get the pit out.

How did you germinate yours?

Thanks in advance.

Josh.

Comments (153)

• amelia_pepper_lady
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just finished removing the husk from a mango seed. That's the hardest I have ever worked to get to a seed!

Seriously, my arthritic fingers can barely type. I have a couple of nasty cuts from the screwdriver slipping.

However, I was successful in extracting the seed. I potted it since I have never had any luck using the baggie method to germinate seeds. I always end up with a nice bag of mold.

Our humidity is over 90% now. Temps are in the upper 70's to lower 80's at night with daytime in the lower 90's. I just put the potted seed out on my carport with the other germinating seeds and seedlings. Hope this works!

• tasty
    15 years ago

Good news, I checked on my seed inside my Zip loc bag which is inside some damp paper towels that it is turning slightly yellow and has a small root. I can't wait until it devolps a stem.
    Thanks everybody

Tasty

• cosmin1234
    15 years ago

Hello ... I went to the supermarket last month and i took 5 well made mangoes ... i kept 3 seeds and i tried the "cup" method ... It worked ... I had 3 mango seeds with 3 big roots and 3 small stems ... They were looking good and i potted all three ... i gave one to my cousin and one to my aunt ... I kept the biggest for me ... :) ... It is looking good ... it has like 3-4 cm ( i really don't know how to work with inches and feet ) ... i am trying to keep it at a temperature between 20 - 22C ( i think 66 - 71F ) ... I need an answer if the temperature is good ... and also what is the minimum temp where mango trees die ... by the way it hasn't got a lot of sun so i hope it won't bee a problem ... please answer back ... I could put a picture if i know how ...

Cheers

• josh_buksbaum_com
    15 years ago

I would like to try growing a mango tree, but it has to be inside my house (it would die in the New york winter). I am space constrained, - can anyone recommend a type of mango that grows into a dwarf or medium size tree? I intend on keeping it in a pot, but I only have 9 foot ceilings (I know i'm beeing optimistic here!) Any suggestions greatly appreicated.

• akhpp8395
    15 years ago

HELP!!
    I have 4 mango seeds, 2 in cup with dirt, 2 in yogurt containers,wrapped in paper towl with saran wrap, they all have roots, but i haven't gotten one stem. Am i supposed to move it into a pot with soil after they get a root? Also, WHEN do i move the seeds in the yogurt cups into a pot with dirt? DO i wait till i get a stem, or until the root gets to a specific length or gets branched. Thank you for your help

• hans_petter
    15 years ago

As I wrote a long time ago the germination part is really easy. I've tried the wet paper towel approach but most of my little mangos started out as a seed put directly into moist soil. My problem is to get them going after they've sprouted a few leaves. My guess is that they suffer from some kind of deficiency when the nutrition "starter kit" in the seed has been depleted. It might be a lack of some minerals. Any suggestions?

• mrgopher16
    15 years ago

I have been reading through this website ever since I got the idea to germinate a mango seed and see how far I could get growing it. Right now I am hopping back and forth from the Minnesota and Michigan area so I do not have any big expectations but it has been fun to try. Here is my latest picture of the mango tree.

{{gwi:1305490}}

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Hello Mr G....it will grow quite quickly from now on, mine did even here in the UK! Mine is a Kent variety. It was planted in Jan 07 and now looks like this. It's about 18 in tall I guess and is going through a growth spurt at the moment as its starting to branch with several at the top and a few more sprouting lower down. Let me know when you get a mango...and I'll do the same!!
    Gill.

• mrgopher16
    15 years ago

Greenclaws,

That is an amazing picture! How big is the pot you have it in if you don't mind me asking? I have been worrying about the pot size because of all I've read about how deep the taproot grows and what not. At the same time thought I want to keep it manageable to move in during the winter.

What was your experience with the smaller pot size and do you have any advice for me as I would like to do the same.

Thanks!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Hi there Mr G, the pot it's in at present is 17cms in diameter and is of a similar height, the plant itself is now around 50cms tall. Didnt spy a tap root when I re-potted, just huge tangled mass of hungry roots. Lives in the g/h presently and feed it once a week with no frills liquid house plant food, has got dose of chicken poo pellets added to the compost though!
    This is it in Feb of 2007, not sure of pot size as I didnt take notes on it, but its only gone to the 17cms one in the last few weeks. Trying to keep to minimum size pot as is practical as I need to keep this plant as small as possible as it will have to live in a pot for the rest of its life I guess. No way will I be able to plant it outside here in the UK!!!

Feb 07

Mar 07

June 07

Aug 07

Obviously it didnt grow much over the winter it just had problems with scale insects and spider mites...a real pain in the butt. The whorl of new leaves it did try to push out all fell off and it is only now growing its first set of 2008, along with branches at the top and lower down. Will post again bit later on for you when they have grown on a bit more, in the meantime hope this helps.
    I wont be back on computer now till 21st July, but will log onto this thread on my return.
    Gill.

• mrgopher16
    15 years ago

That's really interesting how tall yours got with only the first set of leaves. As you can see from my picture the leaves are taller than the plant itself and it has just kept on producing them.

{{gwi:1305495}}

{{gwi:1305496}}
    I only began the germinating back in late may so this guy is about 2 months old since I took the seed out of the pit. It's been really exciting so far though, never thought of doing it until now.

• tropical_philippines
    15 years ago

Hi temperate zone mango growers,

I am really *amused* by your posts, so much so that I just have to comment and share my own experience on growing mangoes from seeds. :)

I live in a tropical country where mature mango trees can be found just about anywhere. Mangoes planted from seed here usually take 7 to 12 years to mature and bear fruit.

Mangoes are large trees in our tropical climate. By the 7th year, mangoes planted from seed will be more than 20ft tall. The reason why they grow so fast here is because there is no 'dormant' period. We only have two seasons, dry season and wet season. (It's like dry summer and wet summer only if you get what I mean.)

Mangoes grow fast here even during dry season were there is little or no rain, and they grow even much faster during the wet season where there is plenty of rain. There is no slow growth period here as they never stop growing.

I think in a four-season climate like yours where the growing period is only half as long as in a tropical climate with two seasons, your mangoes are probably going to take twice as long to mature and bear fruit than if they were planted here.

Also, if you grow them indoors or in a greenhouse, you will have to prune or trim them severely because they can get really large. I think 'HUMONGOUS' is a more appropriate term. :)

A grafted mango tree may be a better option for you because for a mango tree planted from seed, the main trunk will be about 8 inches across in diameter when the tree is already mature enough to bear fruit.

If you want to be successful in growing it in your 'temperate' climate indoors or in a greenhouse, here are 'tropical' climate tips that may help:

1.) Humidity in tropical countries like ours are almost always never lower than 60% and is usually around 75-90% most of the time. 95-100% humidity here is not uncommon but less than 60% humidity is really quite *rare*.

Your mango seedlings therefore are surely going to feel the severe drying effect of your 40% or lower humidity. Their growth will definitely be affected and they will surely show signs of displeasure such as shrivelling and drying of young leaves and buds if the humidity stays that low for extended periods of time.

2)The lowest temperature in most tropical climates like ours is around 22-23 degrees Celsius and our highest temperature is frequently around 32-33 degrees Celsius.

Your mango seedlings are therefore surely going to show severe 'chill' symptoms like stagnant growth when temperatures dip below 18 degrees Celsius or lower for extended periods of time.

Mangoes grow in *full sun* here in our tropical climate. The combined effect of low temperatures, low sunshine, and low humidity is a recipe for disaster. It will surely send them sulking and ultimately dying from a cold, dry atmosphere with limited sunshine if these conditions are not corrected.

This explains the experience of some of you who successfully germinate them but are caught by surprise when they suddenly die after a few months or so.

Anyway, please don't be discouraged. I am posting here not to discourage you but to help you. The more you know about the mango's native environment, the better your chances of growing them and keeping them alive. Just keep on trying and don't give up no matter what other people say. I myself haven't given up growing apples from seeds in my tropical country. (I read they can grow and fruit in the mountains of Indonesia, so why can't they do the same in my area? [I have since been unsuccessful. Apparently, my germinated apple seedlings commit *suicide* just before they turn 1 month old... ;)] You are all much luckier than me with your mangoes having already grown several months old!)

Good luck to you guys and do share your updates! I'm interested in how it all turns out.

tropical

--------
    By the way, here is a photo of my 5+ year old (almost 6 years old) mango tree in my front yard. I expect it to flower and fruit anytime this year or next year. It's huge as expected as mango trees usually grow to be more than 20 ft tall (at least in a tropical climate like ours).

{{gwi:803728}}

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Tropical, hi there, thanks for the info and your kind words of encouragement! I cannot resist the temptation to plant all manner of seeds etc etc, just for the sheer challenge of getting them to grow. Some seeds/plants I admit have failed miserably, others including my little mango tree are proving me wrong...so far anyway! A few folks have scoffed on reading how we in the UK and surrounds are turning into *zone-pushers* and trying to grow tropicals instead of sticking to our more usual temperate plants, but on the whole we have been commended for trying.
    I realise mangoes do grow *rather* large and need much hotter temps than here in the UK to grow sucessfully, however, if I can keep it healthy and in a relatively manageable size pot, I, and it will be happy.
    As you point out with our colder seasons, growth will be almost none existant during the winter. However, it did try and put out a couple of new whorls of leaves over the winter but they dried up and fell off. I will try and up the humidity for it as this could have been the reason as it was bought from the g/h into a centrally heated house..it also went down with spider mites as they thrive in dry conditions. It has only just started to put out its first growth of 2008 in the last few weeks and is now romping away. Have read that many do not get through the first winter, so having got this far I hope to eventually get it through its second.
    I grow plumerias, a strelitzia, passion flowers, palms, echiums, hoyas and other so called *tropicals*, admittedly most are potted and confined to the g/h...but hey...that's what it's for!!!

Thanks again Tropical for the help etc, Regards... Gill.

• katylin79_gmail_com
    15 years ago

greenclaws - after reading your other post couple weeks ago I was prompted to germinating my own mango seed.

I've been devouring mangoes since I was 5. It's ironic that I never knew what lies inside the hairy husk. I successfully extracted the seed and wrapped it with wet paper towel and now it's sitting in a cup of water covered with a plastic wrap. Hopefully I will see some growth or progress within a week. I am soooo excited!! Will report back later...

• tropicdude
    15 years ago

I have noticed that the local Nursery that specializes in Mangoes, sets the Mango seeds to dry in the sun, before planting, they only use these for root stocks, as Grafting is the best way to insure quality of fruit / variety etc. I have tasted store bought Mangoes in the US supermarkets, and they do not compare to the great taste of a good tree ripened Mango. last Month I went to the "feria del Mango" in Bani, and decided I wanted to try out all kinds of Mangoes for taste. I really liked the Palmer variety, its Med/Big, small seed, non stringy and very tasty. Keitt was good too, other named ones locally called "Gota de oro" "Banilejo" are also local favorites, the US market I noticed prefers the non stringy larger varieties, but some of the smaller ones, although stringy, can be some of the best tasting. My ex Father in law, once planted 5 Million Mango trees for the Dictator Trujillo, so this Island has mangoes all over the place. some trees are huge.

I will collect some pics, and add them here in a later post.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Just wanted to post a picture of my Glenn Mango(grafted) not from a seed. I planted it in a 20" pot when I bought it Sept 06. I live in FL, so I do have high humidity in the summer time. I have to protect it a few days a year in the winter when we have an occasional frost.I just wanted to see if I can grow them in a pot and keep it small. I also have some planted in the ground. I LOVE Mangos...

Keep up the great job everyone, Kudos to all of you that are succesful in growing tropical fruits where you normally wouldn't even try. Its really fun to see them grow and let's face it that's what its all about...

{{gwi:621734}}

• mrgopher16
    15 years ago

puglvr1-
    That is an awesome looking mango tree in that pot. Picture perfect of what I would love to see happen with mine (but am probably dreaming!). What is the soil composition you've got it in? I am trying to figure out what the best mix is to go with as my plant grows and I re-pot it later.

Thanks!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Mrgopher, thank you very much for the kind words...I have mine in Al(tapla) soil mix. There's a tons of info, if you do a search on the "Container Forum" under Container potting mix or Al's Mix. Be prepared to do a lot of reading, but it is very informative. I use Turface, Pine Bark fines, crushed granite grit(or very coarse silica sand not play sand) and a very small amount of Peat. The mix is very fast draining and I really love the mix...I water mine often here, this time of year. It is in a growth spurt right now. Hope to get a mango or two next summer? Good Luck with your tree!

• peteygurl
    15 years ago

The day I decided to try to grow a mango from a seed was the say I came across this forum. And from then on I've been hooked on this. I make sure to check it every once in a while because I know people will definitely be posting updates on their plant. Anyway thanks to tropical for sharing the stuffs on growing mangoes in the Pi. That's actually how I got hooked on growing my own tree because I missed the local mangoes in the Philippines :(

I used the cup method for all of my seeds. And thankfully I've got four of them growing in different paces. It's wierd thou because one of the seed I grew had the wierdest cotyledon formed inside the husk and when it grew there were like four or five plants in one pot with that one seed. But it's all good. Hopefully at least one of the many in that pot is going to survive. I just wish I could share pictures of my mango plants. I definitely will thou once I figured it out how to. =)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Mmmmmh, am afraid to report Mr Mango is in decline. It's been sending out lots of branches and batches of new leaves, however, both the new and the old loeaves they keep getting patches of whiteish 'mould' on them. When I rub this off it leaves a kind of translucent patch on the leaf which after a few days turns ugly and brown, it spreads till the whole darned leaf falls off. Whats going on folks, I'm really worried?
    Gill.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

greenclaws, Sorry to hear about your mango tree, here is a link to some of the FL diseases that we get here...see if any of them might be what yours has. Could you have some type of aphids or mealy? Check for bugs first specially underneath the leaves. If not it could be some type of Fungal disease...Good luck!

• killgriff07
    15 years ago

Hi. I have had 100% germination rate with just letting the seed dry out for a few days and then breaking open the shell (being careful not to disturb the seed inside). I then just plant it in the ground horizontally and have to wait to see something come through the surface. MAKE SURE NOT TO LET YOUR CURIOSITY DIG IT UP, BECAUSE THE TAP ROOT IS VERY FRAGILE! I couldn't resist one day and ended up killing two seeds trying to check on their roots by gently tugging on them. Instead of having slight resistance to tell me that there were roots, the whole tap root snapped off at the base of the seed! Oh, well. I just wanted to share my method and show some pics of some that I didn't kill.

New seedling. Sorry for the bad pic, the camera kept focusing on the background.

Here's a mango that's about 3 or 4 months old.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Kgriff, great job on that Mango...looks nice and healthy!!

• mrgopher16
    15 years ago

To those of you who have been experimenting and having fun in cold weather climates (or if you have any ideas or opinions):

Over the summer I've been able to germinate and grow a mango seedling. However being in Western Michigan currently, there's no way it will survive the winter outside. If you have had a mango survive a winter, how did you do it? What kinds of things can I do to be more successful?

Grow lights? Heating pads? Humidifiers?

Any tips would be much appreciated, I have grown quite attached to my little mango tree and would hate to see it die over the winter!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Check out the tropical fruits forum...several members there are growing mango, lychee,citrus, etc from Ohio, NY, PA, and other cold climates. Do a search, lots of info that hopefully can help you...Good Luck!!

• tasty
    14 years ago

hi, I like to thank everybody for the instuructions to germinate a mango seed, and by the way some members had their seedling mango's bloom in 2-3 years with great tasting result and barely any fibre.

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Ok I have a little seedling about 4-5 Inches tall now today I noticed theres another little one growing out of the soil. Is this normal i only have one seed in there? Should I break off the new shoot?

• dillonlong
    13 years ago

Does anyone know how to repot mango plants? I'm worried about breaking the tap root.

• tervnut
    13 years ago

Can you 'bonsai' a mango - I'm not thinking SMALL, but something that is within the size confines of a normal home?

Also has anyone tried hydroponics for mango? Is the tap root something that can be worked with after it starts sending out the feathery-light feeder roots?

Comments/info appreciated! THANKS!!

• osos_kitty
    13 years ago

i love that this started about 5 years ago and ppl are still writing and sharing well
    i have four seeds that i got to shoot use a weird methed i saw on a video i rapped them up in pads wet them and let them sit near a window for three to four days and now i have them in pots with just potting soil i bought and clear plastic over them they seem fine and i think its good that im in south cali so its really hot right now and itll be hot most of the year

• skayc1
    13 years ago

I started both my mangoes and avocados by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and placing in a ziplock baggie. I removed the skin from both the avocado pits and the mango seeds, before wrapping them with the damp paper towel. I also replaced the damp paper towel when needed. Now I have two Mango seedlings, and 5 avocado seedlings.
    {{gwi:111343}}
    {{gwi:111350}}
    {{gwi:111351}}

• houstontexas123
    13 years ago

the two small green mango seedlings on the right are from the smaller yellow mangos commonly found in grocery stores.

i started by taking the seeds out of the hard shell, then wrapped them with a paper towel and kept them wet for about a week till there was a root about 1/2" long. then planted into plastic tubs.

later on, we bought two of the larger green/red variety from the grocery store. left two brownish seedlings. took the seeds out of the hard shell. placed them in a container and covered with water. changed the water everyday for about a week. planted when roots started growing.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

A good way is wrapping the bean (little greenish seed inside the husk) in paper towel, but instead of putting it in a bag, just set it in a shallow tupperware, keep it moist, and in about 3-5 days roots will grow. Make sure you keep it warm! Happy Growing!

~Man-Go

• michaelklahn_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have been trying for several years off and on to sprout mango seeds.I now have two that I am trying the "remove from the husk and put in a plastic bag wrapped in a paper towel "method.I see a small bump on each of them and they both seem to be clean and no mold.hopefully these will make it. I have sprouted many different types of seeds,but no mangoes or guavas. it can be discouraging,but I don't give up easily.

• Fwallacelaw_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

This method is going to sound totally crazy but it works! As soon as you take the pit from the mango, take a knife and carefully split the pit along the side then pry it open with your fingers. Carefully remove the mango seed. Here is the strange part but just trust me on this method cause it hasn't failed me yet. Take a large maxi-pad and unwrap it. Lay the mango seed on the maxi-pad then pour water over the entire maxi-pad. After you have done that, roll the seed up in the maxi-pad and put it in a plastic baggy and it it outside or in the window seal (outside works best). After about 1-2 weeks, the seed will have sprouted. At that point, you can plant the seed and only leave the sprout exposed. Now water the newly planted seed with a fertilizer and your mango tree will begin to grow quickly.

• Omelio
    12 years ago

I have read so many different methods of planting a mango seed, that is not funny, I want to know if seeds left out to dry for several days will still germinate and if kept in a refrigerator for several days would damage the enbryo.
    I have plenty of seeds from my tree, I have planted some in wet paper towels, in germinating mix and in miracle grow, all were left outdoors with plenty of sun and enough water to keep the soil moist, I have one that sprouted and is about 6 inches high (planted in a mixture of miracle grow and germinating soil that I bought at a nursery supply), today I was checking and found four that are starting to grow roots, also very interesting was that I had a fruit that was extremely ripe, almost rotting, I opened to get the
    seed and then the embryo and to my surprise it had roots about 3 inches already growing, I tried the same with 5 other mangos and they had nothing growing (this were in the refrigerator for several days) I had a another mango very ripe also but kept in a basket and when opened also had roots about two and a half inches growing already, I planted all of them in pots with germinating soil and put them in the garage, Do I need to keep them inside even living in Miami? please help me with ideas, I have planted 45 seeds so far in the last 3 weeks.

• cecombe03_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I've been fortunate enough to have my seeds sprout inside the fruit as it rippened! my question of concern is one of the sprouts has formed a hard black tip and seems to have stopped growing. Do I clip the tip off? what should I do? HELP!!!

• benjaminmonro
    11 years ago

Im really struggling, i live in perth but its only been low twnties, is it too cold for germination?

• miketropic
    11 years ago

very much to cold use a heating pad you will have better results

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

You shouldn't have any problems in Perth in a sheltered place. It's your minimum temps that might still be a bit low, so indoors overnight. Or are you planting direct in the ground? And are you seriously wanting fruit, or is this just an interest in getting something up from seed? If it's particularly the fruit you're after it would be better to buy a grafted plant from a nursery. Less waiting, and sureness of the type of fruit you'll get.

• benjaminmonro
    11 years ago

tropicbreezent

mainly just for the satisfaction, fruit would be an added bonus.

i am planting in small pots its been about 12 days, but quite cold compared with usual, are they dead or should i leave them?

and whats the zip lock bag technique?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I thought your temp would be reasonable by this time of year, although I'm near Darwin, so you sometimes get as bit out of touch with down south. I'd give them a bit longer. If you want to, you can put some in ziplock bags. That holds in moisture and moderates the temps a little. Keep them on top of the fridge, it's warmer there over night. You need to wash them regularly, to freshen the moisture around them, change the air, and reduce the build up of fungus, etc. I wouldn't just leave them sealed in the bags until they germinate.

From seeds it can take 7 or more years to get fruit. Grafted trees produce fruit within a year or two. You'll sometimes see grafted fruit in the nurseries with flowers/fruit already on them.

Also, with seed plants you never know what sort of fruit you're going to get. Seeds never produce true to the parent plant.

• benjaminmonro
    11 years ago

Thanks

ive just got about a 1/2 cm sprout on one in a ziplock bag, when should i plant it out?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I checked your temps and your nights are still a bit cool. You could pot the seed now but bring it inside overnight. Don't let it get wet and cold. Enough water to keep the soil just damp. When you start getting those easterlies blowing check that your plant doesn't dry out too much. Young small plants are more susceptible to dehydration.

• hungryslimer
    10 years ago

hey there all.well sadly alphonso mango season is finished and the uk is dry till next year. all that remains of the debauchery is a load of pips. ive got a nice warm conservatory and figured id grow a mango for decoration more than anything.so im opening the pips to get the seeds out and into bags of moist compost when i find this in one of the seeds.not so sure what it is but its made a nice home in the seed and its alive though not fully developed.will try keep it alive though im sure ive got no chance now the seed is in the open.it'll probs die as soon as it realizes bristol in is a long way from home.im guessing its a mango weevil. are these dangerous to agriculture in the uk or would they not survive?

• hungryslimer
    10 years ago

hey there all.well sadly alphonso mango season is finished and the uk is dry till next year. all that remains of the debauchery is a load of pips. ive got a nice warm conservatory and figured id grow a mango for decoration more than anything.so im opening the pips to get the seeds out and into bags of moist compost when i find this in one of the seeds.not so sure what it is but its made a nice home in the seed and its alive though not fully developed.will try keep it alive though im sure ive got no chance now the seed is in the open.it'll probs die as soon as it realizes bristol in is a long way from home.im guessing its a mango weevil. are these dangerous to agriculture in the uk or would they not survive?

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Best to check with your agricultural department. Some insects can cope with a wide range of climates, better to be sure.

• dickie craig
    7 years ago

I eat a mango then open it up get seed out and then plant it concave down about 1 inch deep. It generally will take about 10 days to sprout. This works for me here in humble texas.

• Alex Olaf
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi while I was opening the mango pit I damaged the mango seed will it still grow? Thanks

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Depends on what part was damaged and how bad the damage is. Generally there's a good chance it will be okay if the damage isn't too bad but there might be a bit of a race between the seedling developing and fungus spreading from any damaged parts. The best way is to not try to cut the seed out, they germinate okay on their own.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz