Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valray_gw

Id of plant in Florida

valray
10 years ago

Anybody know what this is?

Comments (11)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

It is known by many names: Rose Glory Bower, Cashmere Bouquet, Mexicali Rose and, around here, Mexican Hydrangea. The botanical name is Clerodendrum bungei. It is highly, highly, HIGHLY INVASIVE.

It is worth repeating. This plant is EXTREMELY INVASIVE.

If you get even one root of this in your yard, you will NEVER get rid of it. I just shake my head when I see people selling this at flea markets and on Craigslist. It is very pretty, a good bloomer and oh-so-tempting, but it will take over a yard like nothing you've ever seen. If you get one, plant it not only in a pot (rather than in your yard), but in two pots (double-pot it) and set it in the middle of a concrete patio because if even one root escapes through the bottom of that pot, it is Game Over.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Clerodendrum bungei invasive

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 21:48

• valray
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I don't think it would be invasive in zone 4 but thanks for the warning. :)

• valray
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This looks a bit different than the Clerodendrum bungei pix I found. Are you sure that's what it is? Any other ideas?

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i was going to ask about this plant myself. i've seen it planted very purposefully in manicured front yards - with just one vine going, not very robust at all. and no sign of it spreading anywhere. and this is from miami, fl.
    it does not look at all like above mentioned clerodendrum.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    i know that as Clerodendrum quadriculare "fireworks tree"
    Mine are around 20 feet very twiggy and semi deciduous if we experience a frost . This year they are glorious due to the warm winter . I understand that there are some dwarf
    subspecies hybrids that remain under 10 feet would make fantastic potted standards as you can prune as much as you like .. They do sucker like crazy, rather cold sensitive and grow in all directions . Won't be a problem in areas with freezes for sure . There are many species in the Clerodendrum family, with many different habits flowers but would certainly make great specimen plants if you can protect them from the cold?? gary

• valray
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think it is Clerodendrum quadriculare.

10 years ago

Yes, there was more discussion on it in the Florida Gardening forum and I sure did have the wrong clerodendrum - Writersblock identified it as Quadriloculare - see link below.

Note that Quadriloculare is as invasive as its cousin, Bungei. If you Google the botanical name plus the word "invasive", you will find lots of material. I have several different varieties of clerodendrum and they are all planted in pots.

I have friends here in Jacksonville that have Bungei and runners pop up from the front yard to the back yard to the side yard, fifty feet or more way! It is an ongoing battle with a plant that they sadly regret putting in the ground. The original was yanked a long time ago but it lives on and on and on. We do get hard freezes here, but the ground does not freeze. Most plants come back happily from the roots as does this one.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: ID of plant in Florida

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 9:26

10 years ago

PS. Petrushka, the comments in the plant file on DG, has lots and lot complaints of it being invasive.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

ok, i went to look again what DG people say(i did not look thru ALL comments, true ;). may be 30% say it suckers a lot, especially if you cut it down. some say - no suckers at all. some say manageable. nobody outright called it 'invasive'. lots of plants sucker.
    many people said it is well worth growing it - as the flowers are spectacular.
    you were really emphatic calling it invasive, to a point of - god forbid you plant it. i was just pointing out that other people in fl seem to be able to grow it OK, without it being invasive. that's all.
    i am curious what makes the difference?

10 years ago

Petrushka, my fault. I was referring to Bungei while you were probably checking Quadriloculare. I'm sorry.

Here are some of the comments about Bungei:

"While I do think this can be an attractive plant, there are some negatives to it. It multiplies like crazy. I'm constantly pulling it up where it is impenging on the growth of other plants. Also, I cannot stand the smell of the foliage if you brush up against it! It came from under our neighbor's fence and it is coming up in my daylillies, cannas, hollyhocks. I fear I am losing some of those plants because of it. I just don't think its attractiveness is worth the damage it is causing to the other plants."

"I thought I had gotten rid of this plant (Clerodendron or Clerodendrum bungei) many years ago, after a determined effort over a couple of years. But clearly the roots were still down there, and eventually it reappeared. It was, and still is, on both sides of the property line, in my yard and a neighbor's. I have pulled up an unending amount of shoots, zapped it with strongest available version of Roundup; still it comes back. I put some in a rescued large-plant tub and like it there (on my concrete driveway). But it, and a related plant, Giant Salvia (Clerodendrum speciosissimum) should be planted in completely root-proof containers (maybe an abandoned swimming pool if you want it to spread a bit!). Take WARNING: Don't plant in ground."

"I can't be as kind as others regarding the invasiveness of this plant. Last fall I planted one mail-order 2" pot in my front bed, looking for deer resistant plants. I moved one of the first new shoots to my rear raised bed. In our sandy soil here in west central FL, that plant has become over 30. I have pulled all visible plants getting as much root as I can, but I get about 5 new plants per week. This will be a long ordeal taking consistent effort. It was taking over even among my mexican torch sunflowers. There are so many other good plants to grow here without this effort. Pass on this one."

"We have this plant that self started in our wooded area behind our home. It is taking over literally. VERY invasive.
    My goats won't eat it. Wondering if anyone has suggestions to irradicate? Weedeater can't get it as it has woody stems.
    The ONLY thing so far that works, is a swing blade. But for several acres, thats hard.
    Does anyone know if cows would eat it? If deer won't touch it, and goats don't like it, it sounds like this plant will eventually join up with the Kudzu and wild wisteria back there, and take over the planet!! Help!
    Pretty plant, but MUST be contained.
    I"m in Jacksonville, Florida btw.
    Help!
    Lisa^^ and the disappearing woods, and goaties...... help, its coming for us........"

"This plant is definitely invasive. While it has a pretty flower, it is not worth the trouble."