Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for non spreading full sun border

Posted by maja127 33914 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 8:56

Need suggestions for tropical type plants that can withstand full sun to place around our lanai. Zone 9, Florida. Prefer plants that won't spread wide, and not too tall as we don't want to entirely block out the view.
I had placed heather, but it reached maturity and is now mostly bare & looks ugly. Low maintaince would be a plus since we are p/t residents. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for non spreading full sun border

Tee hee. Nearly everything I plant self seeds and spreads itself like mad! You don't say if you want annual or perennial plants. In my experience perennials are much less likely to self seed than annuals. Here are one or two that I have that are relatively well-behaved.
1. Madagascar periwinkle - Catharanthus roseus. Comes in a variety of colors apart from roseus.
2. Zinnia - Zinnia elegans ( not Z.haageanus as this self seeds). Wide range of colors. This is an annual.
3. Venus slipper - Calceolaria hybrids.
4. Antirrhinum - Antirrhinum majus and hybrids. Will self seed but easily controlable. Biennial.
5.Four o'clock flower - Mirabilis jalapa. This goes under a variety of names, but as the one I have given suggests it doesn't open till late , so needs a W facing position. Perennial.
6. Salvia ( Sage) - many different species, incl. the culinary one, though this is not so showy.
7. Lavender - Lavandula - many diff. species,flowers not so showy, but good for toning down the more violent colors and of course the scent.
8. Dahlia. It's a good idea to lift the tubers occasionally and enrich the soil.
9. Bulbine fruticosa. S African bulb. Forms neat clumps, not invasive. Orange and lemon.
10. Coneflower (Echinacea purpurata) and Rudbeckia, both USA natives. Taller plants good for the back of the border.

Hope you have fun growing some of these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here