Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknrolltravel

Coffee Plant

rocknrolltravel
17 years ago

Hello all! I have a question for any of you growing coffee plants. Over this past winter I purchased a few coffee plants and I am curious because the leaves seem to turn brown at the tips and the lower leaves seem to turn yellow and fall off. I have heard others say this happens to them but I don't know if it is normal or if something is wrong with it. I have found a few mealy bugs but my plants are small enough that I should have gotten most of them off by hand and then I sprayed it with safer soap.

Last night I was at Lowe's and they had a few young coffee plants and to my surprise they looked like mine...some burnt looking leaves and just not real healthy looking. I have thought maybe they have some fungal problem because sometimes I see a white residue on the leaves but I also saw this at the plants at lowe's so I was thinking maybe the leaves are prone to water spots? Also maybe it is the cooler conditions in my house. At night and during the day it probably gets into the lower 60s near the windows with the cold Kansas wind.

Please let me know if you all have any ideas. I appreciate it.

Jason

Comments (14)

• antbeez6
    17 years ago

I have the same "problem". I think it is due to lower than ideal humidity. I could be wrong, however.

• longwoodgradms
    17 years ago

If it reassures you, the same thing happens to coffee plants outside in the ground here in winter--many will have either lots of yellowed leaves or leaves with brown on them. Lack of humidity and cold will bring that on.

Yellow/tired leaves also happen in August if plant is in a lot of sun even with high humidity and ample water and good soil.

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

You must have been reading my mind. Last spring I got a heck of a coffee plant (actually about 6 seedlings in one pot) via mailorder. I kept em watered and with filtered sun. They were doing just fine! Now, they are doing what yours are doing (but no yellow leaves, just browning at the edges). I think it's because of low humidity where I am at. It even put out a little bit of new growth this winter! Hopefully when I re-pot in spring it'll come back. It's not dead, just not happy looking.

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

I agree, probably humidity and seasonal. Mine are have filtered sun in the afternoon. Full sun almost killed them! The humidity around her has picked up the last couple of weeks and they are looking great right now.

• okyeah
    14 years ago

My coffee tree - a 5 year old, 7 ft high - has been having the same issue.

It was moved from a western exposure to full southern sun in August, and soon after wards it started developing buds, blooming, and now coffee pods are growing.

However, around the same time, I started seeing a lot of lower/inner leaf yellowing and drop-off. This tree has never had an issue with browning tips even though our water is heavily chlorinated and the humidity in here is around 50%.

It is growing well, has grown around 2.5 feet in the past 8 months, actually! I recently potted up and it was pretty root-bound. I checked for root-rot and everything looked healthy. There hasn't been a change in the number of yellowing leaves.

It is on a regular watering schedule and never gets too wet or too dry.

• houstonpat
    14 years ago

I think they should be looking like this one.

I wish! I took "Cherries" from this plant near Kona and have grown a few. They are now awakening from the winter blues. Mine dropped yellow leaves etc during the winter, though nearly always humid here.

• jmw_iowa_yayhoo_com
    13 years ago

How often should a large coffee plant be watered and how much water should be given? Should plant be in filtered light? When and how much fertilizer should be given and what type?
    I have a large plant that has lost a lot of leaves. It is about 8+ feet tall. When should I be worried that it will not recover?

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

I keep the soil moist with sharp drainage. I give it filtered light. Normal fertilzer or 'natural' for flowers. Leaf drop is common as long as the plant stays warm and healthy. Humidity above 40% and when in my greenhouse ocillating fan.

• sandranaturals
    11 years ago

I have a young coffee plant, and I am wondering if anyone suggests putting it outside during the warm months zone 7 or in a glass greenhouse or is it best to keep indoors all year?

• John Kaiser
    8 years ago

I'm in zone 9, central Florida. My trees also have brown spot and I'm here to hopefully find out why. I can suggest some things I know about growing coffee. If you live in a colder climate and have to bring them inside, they should be in an eastern facing window. Coffee is an evergreen and should not yellow and drop leaves. Maybe the yellowing is caused by too much water with poor drainage. Whenever I transfer my trees to a bigger pot I always remove most of the soil around the roots, (being VERY careful not to damage the "tap root" then plant in new organic soil. This way they get the benefit of new minerals.

• Kaylee Jordan
    7 years ago

All the leafs are brown on my coffee bean plant is it dead or what should I do to help my coffee bean plant it is pretty small to medium size right now it's in a pot any help I can get would be appreciated

• Kaylee Jordan
    7 years ago

I'm in dfw Texas area I'm not sure which zone we are in

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

If it was outside in DFW in winter temps,its probably dead. If its dropping leaf indoors,it most likely went too dry. NEVER let them go dry in the home. One good dry out will kill even large Coffee plants grown as house plants.

Water and see if buds sprout. Time will tell.