Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protea, how to sow?

Posted by ElinSwe none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 9:53

Anyone who has sown any of the Protea species?
I´ve heard that they are quite difficult, but now I have a few seeds, and want to do my best to see them grow. :)

Someone that can help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protea, how to sow?

Growing Proteas is easy as long as you follow a few simple rules. It is important to ensure your Proteas have adequate drainage. Proteas prefer a nice sandy loam or open soil. Some Proteas are less fussy and are quite happy in a heavier soil although they will not survive in heavy clay soils. If you do have heavy soils it will be necessary to first mound the soil to improve it and then dig in compost and gypsum to break up any residual clay.

o

I had success germinating protea seeds by giving them smoke treatment first. You can buy papers that have been saturated in a smoke solution from some seed sellers, and you soak one of those in water overnight along with the seeds.

Then I planted those seeds 1/4 inch deep in cactus potting soil, and put them in our coldroom. They started coming up in 17 days, and most of them germinated.

o

You don't absolutely need the smoke treatment, though it is good. Just mash up some semi-burnt barbecue charcoal with the sowing compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here