Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wax Jambu in California?

Posted by jose_carlos z10a Malaga (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 10:07

Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere in California?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wax Jambu in California?

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 13:17

Our winters are too long and too cool to get one to fruit.

I suppose with some protection and a few warm winters you might have a chance.

Mine grows great inside my heated greenhouse here in south Orange County CA.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Thanks Cagary, very nice photos!, Malaga is in the south of Spain and we have a similar climate like California, our winter is short and not too cool, one friend from Thailand is going to send me two wax jambu grafted, my greenhouse is not heated, but I will try it!!

o

Jose - he's send you TWO? I hope you really, really, like the fruit. I had one in the ground that I bought in a 7 gallon can. It produced a dozen fruit in the first year, 100 in the second year, and over a thousand in the third year. We dug it up and tossed it in the trash!

o

Thanks fawnridge, but really I like very much.
Are you from california?
Your wax jambu produce fruit without proteccion?

o

I live in the San Fernando Valley in LA and I have been growing WAX Jambu outside for several years. I think it is much hardier than was originally thought. My plant grows very vigourously and fruits every year. Every winter I get temps in the low 30's farenhight.

o

Thanks Tony, when your plant was young did you give any
protection?

Fawnridge, are you also from California?

o

It was planted from a gallon pot into an area that is under an overhang of my home. No special protection otherwise. The guy I bought it from had a very large bush or small tree growing in the open (San Diego). The plant is very attractive but the fruit is rather bland. My plant is a white cultivar that is supposedly sweeter. Even in the true tropics I have found the fruit on the bland side.

Good Luck

o

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 1:22

Here's a picture of one in Anaheim, California. What surprises me is not that its growing but how incredibly well its thriving. It produces 3-4 crops per year. Amazing, it goes from flower to ripe fruit in 2 1/2 months or so. Some of the best jambus I've ever tasted also. Not super sweet or anything like that but very very refreshing sweet, and addictive. I could literally go through bags of them. Better than so many that tastes like nothing but water. Here's a picture of the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anaheim Jambu

o

Very beautiful tree, it looks like very vigorous. You have animated me very much, I hope that my wax jambu grows and come to fruition well, here the SYZYGIUM JAMBOS is fruiting very well so I want to experiment with another syzygium.

Thanks to all!

o

Hi,
I need help. I live in San Diego, 5 miles off Delmar beach. I have 2 Wax Jambu trees that don't do well. I water it every 3 days, feed it every 2 weeks but the leaves still don't look good. on one tree,small branch at the end of each leave turned dark brown and drop gradually. On other tree only has a few leaves left . Look like they are dying. Last year I had 3 fruits on one tree with a lot of leaves. I don't know what happen ?? Please help

o

I'm in South Florida.

o

Oh my lord I love was jambu. Used to eat it all the time when I was growing up. Would someone please tell me where you got your plants from?

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 16:10

Lots of places sell them in southern Ca, what city are you located?

o

I am actually in Nor Cal (SF Bay Area). I do plan on moving the tree in door at winter time so it doesn't die on me.

Anyone actually grow jambu in Nor Cal?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here