Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jose_carlos_gw

Wax Jambu in California?

jose_carlos
18 years ago

Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere in California?

Thanks.

Comments (32)

• siegel2
    18 years ago

Our winters are too long and too cool to get one to fruit.

I suppose with some protection and a few warm winters you might have a chance.

Mine grows great inside my heated greenhouse here in south Orange County CA.

• jose_carlos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Cagary, very nice photos!, Malaga is in the south of Spain and we have a similar climate like California, our winter is short and not too cool, one friend from Thailand is going to send me two wax jambu grafted, my greenhouse is not heated, but I will try it!!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Jose - he's send you TWO? I hope you really, really, like the fruit. I had one in the ground that I bought in a 7 gallon can. It produced a dozen fruit in the first year, 100 in the second year, and over a thousand in the third year. We dug it up and tossed it in the trash!

• jose_carlos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks fawnridge, but really I like very much.
    Are you from california?
    Your wax jambu produce fruit without proteccion?

• tony_la
    18 years ago

I live in the San Fernando Valley in LA and I have been growing WAX Jambu outside for several years. I think it is much hardier than was originally thought. My plant grows very vigourously and fruits every year. Every winter I get temps in the low 30's farenhight.

• jose_carlos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Tony, when your plant was young did you give any
    protection?

Fawnridge, are you also from California?

• tony_la
    18 years ago

It was planted from a gallon pot into an area that is under an overhang of my home. No special protection otherwise. The guy I bought it from had a very large bush or small tree growing in the open (San Diego). The plant is very attractive but the fruit is rather bland. My plant is a white cultivar that is supposedly sweeter. Even in the true tropics I have found the fruit on the bland side.

Good Luck

• Eggo
    18 years ago

Here's a picture of one in Anaheim, California. What surprises me is not that its growing but how incredibly well its thriving. It produces 3-4 crops per year. Amazing, it goes from flower to ripe fruit in 2 1/2 months or so. Some of the best jambus I've ever tasted also. Not super sweet or anything like that but very very refreshing sweet, and addictive. I could literally go through bags of them. Better than so many that tastes like nothing but water. Here's a picture of the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jose_carlos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Very beautiful tree, it looks like very vigorous. You have animated me very much, I hope that my wax jambu grows and come to fruition well, here the SYZYGIUM JAMBOS is fruiting very well so I want to experiment with another syzygium.

Thanks to all!

• fruitlover
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I need help. I live in San Diego, 5 miles off Delmar beach. I have 2 Wax Jambu trees that don't do well. I water it every 3 days, feed it every 2 weeks but the leaves still don't look good. on one tree,small branch at the end of each leave turned dark brown and drop gradually. On other tree only has a few leaves left . Look like they are dying. Last year I had 3 fruits on one tree with a lot of leaves. I don't know what happen ?? Please help

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

I'm in South Florida.

• Tonton101
    12 years ago

Oh my lord I love was jambu. Used to eat it all the time when I was growing up. Would someone please tell me where you got your plants from?

• newgen
    12 years ago

Lots of places sell them in southern Ca, what city are you located?

• Tonton101
    12 years ago

I am actually in Nor Cal (SF Bay Area). I do plan on moving the tree in door at winter time so it doesn't die on me.

Anyone actually grow jambu in Nor Cal?

• Aachal
    9 years ago

hey guys does anyone one now where can i find a green wax jambu plant in Northern california

• cyh527
    9 years ago

I have a green wax jambu in socal, it's flowering. If you happen to take a road trip down here, let me know.

• tokyotech
    9 years ago

I'm in Bay Area, California. I bought a Black King Kong Wax Apple cutting from a dude in Los Angelos. It's struggling to grow here. It started at at 8 inches tall. It has only grown 2 inches in the past 5 months. It's been putting out some big leaves, but stem growth is minimal. Some older leaves are browning on the edges. In the attached photo, you can see it behind my guava tree. I'm still cheering it on because I am going through Wax Apple withdrawal. I can only eat it when I visit Taiwan.

• cyh527
    9 years ago

That doesn't look like a wax apple? Is it the little on in the back? The front one looks like a guava.

• cyh527
    9 years ago

Has it fruited before? Do you cover it with anything during the winter? I am thinking of transplanting my wax jambu on the ground but am unsure about the winter here even in socal?

• tokyotech
    9 years ago

No, it has never fruited. This is a brand new cutting that I planted at the beginning of the year. I'd say it's only 1 foot tall now.

I kept it indoors during the winter. Although it was surviving, it wasn't putting out much growth. I moved it outdoors when the nighttime temperatures consistently exceeded 50 degrees Fahrenheit. On the first day it was outside, many of the edges of the leaves turned brown. You can still see the damage in the photo. I never clipped off the damage. It must have been shocked by the intense sun.

The new leaves that it has grown since being outdoors are large and healthy. None of the new leaves show any burn damage.

It has been attacked by scale insects a few times. I just scrape them off with a blunt pocket knife. And I sprayed the entire seedling with neem oil. The scale insects never came back.

• MohammadLawati
    9 years ago

I bought a plant now to try this exotic fruit. It is getting burnt leaves from the sun and the chickens nibble on them XP
    We had summer rains and it got covered roots under water for a day and it survived like nothing happened.

• newgen
    9 years ago

You can get them for about $30-$40 in Orange County, the trees are about 4' tall.

• tokyotech
    9 years ago

I should warn you all that compost can kill your potted wax apple. The leaves of my wax apple suddenly became yellow 2 days after putting a thin layer of compost on the surface. I used Ecoscraps no-poop compost: http://ecoscraps.com/shop/product/ecoscraps-compost-mix-8-quarts/ . I'm hoping my tree can survive. These are my observations on how that compost affected my trees.

- Sweetheart Lychee was unaffected by compost.
    - Sunshine Blueberry spread out its canopy more.
    - Wonderful Pomegranate also got yellow leaves.
    - Multi-grafted Cherry tree grew more leaves.
    - Prime Ark Blackberry started darkening its berries.
    - Fall Gold Raspberry is unaffected.
    - Goji Berry is unaffected.
    - Apache Blackberry grew a tad bit taller.

• cyh527
    9 years ago

by compost do you mean just regular potting soil?

• zareen333
    9 years ago

I love rose apple. I am from Burma. I used to eat them when I was a child. Where can I buy a tree in socal ? Or fruits?

• poetie
    9 years ago

Looking for some cuttings from wax jambu (white/green/pink/red)

Please let me know if you have some . I have paypal.

Thanks

• fdelcorral10
    8 years ago

I have a question. Do you need to graft wax jambu tress in order to get a true to parent fruit and also shorten time to fruiting? Or just oropagate by seed and be ok? Thanks

• poetie
    8 years ago

Still looking to purchase some cuttings. Let me know if you can help out.

I have paypal.

• Tiffany Hong
    6 years ago

@tokyotech How is your wax jambu right now? I live in Norcal and I would like to plant it too. Also, where did you get your plant from Socal? Thanks!

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I planted a wax jambu a few months ago in the winter. It took right off despite the drought with supplemental watering only once a week. Much to my surprise it's now blooming at only 4'. It produced about 15 flowers. The flowers are surprisingly very large for a fruit tree and have an ornamental quality to them.

• poetie
    6 years ago

I am still looking for some cuttings . If anyone wants to make my day. Where I live is apple country. I hate apples. Thanks