Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
christmas poinsetta problems

Posted by dirt_farmer 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:09

Hi,
I have a poinsettia that i was trying to keep as a houseplant.
Its about 18 months old. In the summer I put the plant outside were it lost its large leaves and replaced them with much smaller ones ( about one quarter the size ) and a light green versus the dark green on the large leaves.
Winter time I brought it back in house and only a few miniature leaves remain. Its cold were I live and occasionally the summer night temperature will drop below 50 degree's. I put the plant under a fluorescent light all winter with no improvement . there are only a few leaves that remain.

Is it possible to get this plant to bring back its large leaves ?

And why do I have miniature leaves now ?

Thanks for any replies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: christmas poinsetta problems

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 14:25

Did you repot it? If not, it could be pot bound. And are you fertilizing it? Maybe it's hungry!

o

Hi,
Yes I re-potted it and even had it planted in the garden during the summer without any pot at all. It also has gotten fertilized as well. I have had stunted vegetable plants as well. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but my garden soil is very acidic to the point growing spring onions in it is not possible.

o

It sounds as if it is in a draft and not warm enough (it's from Mexico) and that it's not receiving enough strong light. They don't like direct sun nor much water. Also, check for spider mites - they LOVE this plant!

o

Agreed, but some morning or late afternoon direct exposure that far north might be necessary, eased into, not suddenly thrust. It would also not appreciate having soggy roots in the cold, let it dry out if wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here