Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird of Paradise cold hardy in 8b?

Posted by theseventhlegend 8b Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 11:41

I have 2 types of Bird of Paradise: Strelitzia reginae (orange/blue bird?) and the White BOP (not sure Botanical name). Which of the 2 is more cold hardy? I've read a mixture. It's been getting into the 80's already here in North Florida and we had a mild winter. My White birds look like they are going to give new leafs but my Reginae hasn't shown me anything new yet. All the trunks seem strong.... but stems seem a bit mushy on the ends, more solid towards the trunk. They're sheilded from the winter wind.

Also are there any other Bird of Paradise that will do well in my zone? Maybe Heliconia?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird of Paradise cold hardy in 8b?

From personal experience, Strelitzia Reginae (orange), is more hardy than Nicolai(white). They are side by side in my yard and the white bird got its leaves burned to a crisp in early Dec. during a 3 day Arctic front with temps at 24, 25, and 26 for lows. The orange bird showed little damage. The white bird is now about to bloom and has put out several new leaves. My orange one blooms toward the end of summer. Finding an area in your yard with frost protection in a southern exposure would help.

Steve

o

My white BoP's leaves have started curling again. I transplanted it about 1 month ago FROM a location where it got 1/2 day morning sun, 1/2 day shade/sun (mulched) TO a location where it gets mostly full sun (mulched). After the transplant the leaves curled (shock?) but then flattened out after a week or so.

Now a month since the leaves flattened they started to curl again. Our temps have been mild lately (mid 70's to mid 80's) and we've been in a drought in north FL. However with the soil mulched and watering a fair amount I would think something may be wrong. The temps did drop to low 40's recently... so that may be it. OR maybe it's getting too much sun? I wouldn't think it isnt's the sun cause the leaves flattened out after the transplant and it was hotter then and in full sun. There is new grow, leaves are mostly green. Any ideas?

Also it seems my Orange Bird survived the winter and a new stem is coming up. Just trimmed back the old one's some more cause they looked very black (but not mushy).

o

i agree orange is hardier,and easier to cover,due to its smaller size.
try it!,it has been grown on the s coast of england,which is zone 8 i think

o

Anyone know why my White Bird's leaves are curling? The plant still looks green and seems to be growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here