Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

A Meter Long Jade Vine Flower

mariava7
18 years ago

I just wanted to share this pic of a flower of a jade vine growing in my mother's nursery in the Philippines. She said that this particular jade vine is currently growing up a tree and blooms all year long for her. Beside the jade vine flower is my precious 8 year old daughter, Emariel. Sorry about the pic, I don't know how to turn it around. Happy Gardening to all!

{{gwi:395930}}

Comments (24)

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

By the way, she is very unsuccessful propagating this plant. It won't seed and cuttings fail too. We would highly appreciate any information on how to propagate it. Thanks!

• vilcat
    18 years ago

Gorgeous! I have a very small vine that I hope to grow to flowering size in my greenhouse. You also have a very beautiful little girl.

Kathy

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

It's a very difficult to grow tropical...It likes it warm and humid...very warm and humid.

• leilaniguy
    18 years ago

Here in Puna, Hawaii, my Jade set seed after 6 years. I got 3 viable seeds from a 60' vine. I believe the seed count is so low because birds love the nectar and a small worm that lives inside the blossoms and tear the flowers apart. Very unusual seed, green, but the size and shape of a Brazil nut. Your mother might try ground layering- notching the vine, rubbing the cut with rooting hormone and burying the notch in a pot.

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much Vilcat! Yes she is precious!
    Leilaniguy...I will tell her that. I think they tried grafting and it fails too. I will suggest ground layering to her...Thanks!
    By the way, she is looking for a jade vine that has a different colored flower if there is. I searched in Hortiplex and came out with one that has like a blue-ish flower grown in Maui. Is this for real and where can I get one?

• joanmary_z10
    18 years ago

I have had success with air-layering. Perhaps this may help.

AIR LAYERING FOR DIFFICULT-TO-ROOT PLANTS
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/ornamentals/airlayer/airlayer.html

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Joanmary, this is exactly the process I use to root almost anything that is difficult to root - works perfectly!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks joanmary for that link. I hope it would help in propagating it and a lot of her collections. We really highly appreciate all your help!

• joanmary_z10
    18 years ago

Marivara, you are very welcome. As Kay mentioned, the link information is a pretty well 'fool proof' method. Many airlayerings take about 6 weeks to produce roots. However, Artabotrys Siamensis took about 9 months! Now THIS could be considered 'difficult' to root!!! :)

• Eggo
    18 years ago

Mariavara, great picture. I have never heard of this flower until now. It looks amazing and you have a cute little kid.

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you eggo. She usually gives a BIG smile when her picture is taken but can't right now...she lost her 2 front teeth a couple of months ago...lol!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you eggo. She usually gives a BIG smile when her picture is taken but can't right now...she lost her 2 front teeth a couple of months ago...lol!

• kuranda
    18 years ago

Mariava,
    Here in North Queensland, Australia, with Strongylodon macrobotrys have a strike rate of about 50% with semi-hard trimmed cuttings taken in early summer struck in 70% coarse river sand/perlite mix, uncovered . Rooting in 6-8 weeks and ready to pot on in about 12 weeks. Easy to spot the ones not taking as brown off fairly quickly.

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for that info kuranda. I will definitely tell her about that. Good thing we have lots of river sand there and perlite (imported) is available too.

• siegel2
    18 years ago

There is a yellow and a purple Jade Vine.

Mucuna sp. yellow

Mucuna pruriens

{{gwi:1306328}}

The yellow is available at Pacific Coast Tropicals and they have seeds for the purple. The purple is available as a plant, but we are not able to mention the name of the place that has it here. (How stupid is that?! We're trying to help people find plants here!)

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow!!! Thanks for that info cagary. You will be making a 73 year old woman across the Pacific Ocean very very happy! Since I have been posting pics and people in this forum have been helping us ID her plants, my mom with the help of my other daughter (18 yrs old) have been surfing the web and my mom has been very enthusiastic about it. Our deepest gratitude to everybody!!!

• sonu
    17 years ago

Hi Mariava7!
    that is a truely beautiful jade vine and a real cute little girl! its a year since you posted the picture ,has your mom had any sucess in propogating the jade vine? i live in India and have been trying to source a sapling in vain!would anyone know where i could get it in asia? Am desperate!!

• Bill
    17 years ago

I think the information from Kuranda is very helpful. There is a nursery near me that takes early summer semihardwood cuttings and reports fairly good success with rooting them (better than 50%). I tried for the first time this past summer. When I made the cuttings I put the bases in water for a few days until I had time to plant them. Then I planted them in good potting soil and made sure not to let them dry out. One out of the two survived. This summer I will put more effort into making more of them. I did not try many cuttings last year because I had heard they were difficult. Between the success of my local nursery, and my getting one out of two, I am sure it can be done.

Bill

• gabethegreenguy
    17 years ago

Hello everyone ! I've just joined here...
    I've read your posts about the Strogylodon Macrobotrys (Jade Vine) and wanted to ask any of you about a good source to get seeds, cuttings or seedlings of this plant.

I've been unsuccessfully looking for the jade Vine since about two years now, so I'll appreciate your kind guidance.
    Thanks in advance.
    Gabe
    in Argentina

• readygrown
    15 years ago

hello my name is Alan Schroder and I am a tropical horticulturist at the Denver Botanic Gardens in Colorado, USA. I have been experimenting with taking cuttings, and i do attest that it is a somewht hard to root species... I have gotten three to root and will be trying for more soon.. I am interested in trading for something else if possible...

• rose_hip
    15 years ago

Hey Alan,
    We grow Lots of tropicals(!!) what are you interested in,
    and do you have anything else for trade? thnks, Terry.

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

Mariava

Thank you so much for that photo you submitted. Of the Jade Plant and your young daughter

I am a Canadian, but have this little house in Fort Myers Florida

I planted a green jade vine plant and a red jade vine plant back in February, at the house there

I watered and babied both plants. Put lots and lots of mulch on both plants before I left, for Canada for six months. Am hoping that they will survive.

I have seen the plant in bloom at Fairchild Gardens in Miami. It is truly a sight to see

Thanks again

• readygrown
    15 years ago

rose hip, I do have more things to trade, what are you intersested in?

Here at DBG our Strongylodon macrobotrys flowered eseveral months ago for the first time.....in its nine year tenure at our gardens...I was a fascinating coulple of months...
    I am looking for its relative, Mucuna benettii...Does anyone have this for trade????

• josecanto36_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Here at belize botanic garden we have 3 plants of the green jade vine and they are just doing fine.I work in the plant nursery i do lots of propagation i have done lots of it.I think it has to do lot with the climate so you can propagate jade vine.we do plant sale here in bbg.