Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea Repotting / Planting question

Posted by kes_cor Z5 Chicago, IL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 13:06

I purchased my Bougainvillea two years ago, a purple flowered from Monrovia. As I've read they like to be pot bound, I never replanted it. Over the winter I store it in my semi heated laundry room (~ 50 and mostly dark). The plant completely goes dormant over winter. This is the plants third season and it only seems to bloom in winter, although I bought it in full bloom in June.
I just took it out from the laundry room and it is sprouting like crazy. I can see the flowers forming already.

I need to replant it as it doesn't stand straight upright. Also, how long can it stay in the growers pot?

Should I wait until the flowering is finished and then replant and back into the same pot?

Also, would you recommend fertilizing it or wait or always fertilize in low doses?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea Repotting / Planting question

Hi kes,
If your bouggie hasn't been repotted in 2 years and has grown alot you should probably repot up at least one pot size. Try not to disturb the roots when you do so. Make sure the plant is well watered, then if the plant does not slide out of the pot easily, you can just take a razor knife and slice down 2-3 sides of the pot and then remove the plant.
For potting soil you need good drainage and a pot with lots of holes in the bottom. Terra cotta seems ideal but the fine roots on the bougainvillea will adhere themselves to terra cotta and then break next time you have to repot. So plastic is probably a better choice.
I use 2 parts potting soil to 1 part sharp sand (not play sand get the larger particle sand at home depot or somewhere by the concrete mix) to 1 part perlite.
I have a royal purple that I'm training into a espaliered like form. I put in 2 bamboo poles (one on ea. side) in the new pot , when I repotted it and tie the bouggie up with velcro ties as it grows to get the shape I want. Cut out the pieces you dont want.
You can wait about 3 wks or so after repotting to fertilize. you can give it some superthrive or vit. B when you water it after repotting.
Some of the potting soils have slow release fertilizer in them anyways. I give mine bloom booster or tropical hibiscus food, and sometimes epsom salts with a little fish fertilizer in low doses throughout spring and fall. People have different ways of fertilizing them though.
Mine usually stay in bloom from spring to late fall off and on so they must like it. I have about 8 different ones.
~SJN

o
RE: Bougainvillea Repotting / Planting question

I have heard this "don't disturb the roots" thing with regard to Bougs. Because I'm from the Show-Me state, I decided to test this idea on my only Boug, a gigantic root-bound thing in a 24" clay pot. I pulled the plant last fall, took a knife and shaved 3-4" off of all sides and the bottom of the rootball. Then I sprayed the rootball with a hose to loosen up the remaining roots. Then I repotted in a pot 2-4 inches smaller than the original. The plant never missed a beat and is covered in pink blooms and new growth at this time. I could not have abused this plants rootball any more than I did at the time of this repottiing. Pics available by request (because I didn't think anyone would believe me).

SB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here