Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangogrower

Any Luck With A Jackfruit Tree ?

mangogrower
18 years ago

anyone had any success growing a Jackfruit tree, protecting it in the winter and keeping it growing?

I just ordered one and will make a private mini greenhouse shelter for it in the winter and see how it goes.

I live in Jacksonville, FL and have had success with Mango, Litchee, White Sapote, Strawberry Guava and Bananas now for 3 years... All in the ground and fruiting...

Comments (44)

• virgilevetts
    18 years ago

If you can get mango to fruit you wont have any trouble with jackfruit. They are actually pretty tough plants, even handling a bit of frost once established.

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Virgilevetts is right, Jackfruit trees are amazingly tough! My two have been through 3 hurricanes and a freeze, and only lost a few leaves after the frost. They are outside, planted in the ground, on the north side of the property. The smaller one got the full brunt of the cold and defoliated more than the big one (sheltered behind Areca palms)which lost only a handful of leaves.

They are attractive trees that like lots of water, but well-drained soil.

Lisa

• mangogrower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GcMastiffs,

Have you ever got any fruit from your Jackfruit trees?

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

No fruit yet, they are young trees. Maybe this year!

The nursery I bought them from has countless mature ones that are loaded with fruit every year.

Lisa

• amazondk
    18 years ago

Here where I live, 3.5 degrees south latitude on the Amazon river jack fruit kind of grow like weeds in many areas. You really would not want one to fall on your head though, it is a big fruit. I never really eat much of the fruit, the size of it scares me as you need a large family to consume it. They do grow far to the south in Brazil though, including in areas that get fairly chilly. You need a lot of space though, they get really big, at least around here.

• Chokkarn_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I seeded in early April 2009. Early May, the little plant grew fast and had so many leaves. June and July has been rough with no rain and high temparatures in Houston(texas). My jackfruit plant is losing almost every leaf that grows out. It is not dead though, but the new leaf lasts only a few days after sprouting before it is burnt by the heat. The good thing is, it still brings out new leaves every week and alive. Will wait and see how winter fares.

• jackfruit
    14 years ago

Chokkar, I am in Laredo (Texas) and have a little Jackfruit tree from seed, which germinated on May 27th this year. It looks healthy and grows new leaves every week. It hasn't lost any leaf so far due to heat, even when we have a lot of dry 110ºF days thru the summer. Like you, I want to see how winter fares.

• amazondude69
    14 years ago

Hi, I am looking for someone who can supply me with fresh blackgold jackfruit seeds or other variety, so that I can buy them! if someone can supply with the seeds please dont hesitate to e-mail me! stevenmadz@hotmail.com

• emmeye
    13 years ago

I buy the fruit from a local store in Houston. Would one of the seeds from the fruit would do the job? Or is there any special handling of the seed before planting the seed? Are there any specific soil conditions required for the plant?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

What a beautiful tree! I have 2 seeds in pots, and I'm waiting to see if and when they sprout. Got them a couple weeks ago. Crossing fingers!
    Suzi

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I've got a few large trees which produce fruit. They do need their water though, and a lot of it. But good drainage as well. The problem I have is that the Flying Foxes get into the fruit before it ripens. Although, they're messy to cut up so I don't eat much and just one fruit is more than enough. I do like the fragrance around the trees when they're flowering, it's really nice.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

So, they make a nice indoor plant? Who knew? Believe it or not, a local greenhouse here as all kinds of interesting tropical fruits, including jackfruit, starfruit (I've grown those from seeds myself before, as well as tamarind), cocoa, miracle fruit, and more common things like citrus, bananas, figs, pomegranates.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Alas, I went back, no Jackfruit today, and I'm sure no more this year. They had a breadfruit plant about 2 feet tall, beautiful leaves, but $70 and I didn't want to gamble. Bought a tangerine and a Satsuma mandarin, though.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Breadfruit are beautiful and get huge leaves. But they have much higher temperature requirements than Jackfruit. I have one growing under the canopy of some very tall trees. The Breadfruit is very tall and thin. I've been thinking of cutting it right back but possibly it will just grow tall and thin again. If it gets fruit the way it is the plant will end up laying on the ground.

• AnjanM
    10 years ago

I got some plants from New Jersey and planted them in Windermere Florida . They seem to be doing well new leaves i shall post some pictures tomorrow. One of them almost died when transferred from the pot to ground after 3 weeks i saw leaves coming out and i was glad. There seems to be too much sand in our back yard. I am trying to find out what fertilizer i should use.

• mrledee
    10 years ago

I saw that the original writer was from Jacksonville, Fl. I am also from Jacksonville and I was wondering if you had any luck with the Jakfruit tree outside?

• blockbuster
    10 years ago

This is my friend tree in Santa Ana, California. This tree is six year old from a seedling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxijg-W76U

Here is a link that might be useful: Jackfruits from SantaAna, California

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I have a little jackfruit a couple feet high. I started it from seed last spring. I am in zone 9a. For now I have been bringing it inside on the coldest nights. When it is bigger I will have to keep it in the gh with the Longan and Starfruit and Cacao trees etc. during the winter lol. Maybe I will live in a warmer zone by then.
    ~SJN

• newgen
    10 years ago

Wow blockbuster,
    That's amazing to see. Does your friend live in Little Saigon area? Does he protect the tree from the cold winter weeks, like in late Dec 2013 and early Jan 2014?
    Thanks,

• vishprasad06
    9 years ago

Does anybody know how tall the jackfruit tree will grow if it's not pruned. I live in Southern California, where it's not really difficult to grow by seed, and would like to know the height trees normally grow up to.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

My biggest are around 5 to 6 metres tall. But I've seen others around here that are a good 15+ metres. Not easy to get fruit down from up there.

• blockbuster002
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

newgen, he lives 10 minutes from Little Saigon and no protection for the tree during the Winter.

Here is my outdoor tree. I live about 25 minutes from little Saigon where the weather is colder in the Winter and warmer during the Summer than where my friend live. I have about six fruits so far this year and more still coming.

This tree is also from a seedling and survived many Winters without any protection.

http://youtu.be/91cJSU9E37k

• blockbuster002
    8 years ago

• Peter C
    8 years ago

WOW Blockbuster, I love that potted jackfruit. I purchased two seedlings (about 1ft fall) a few months ago. They have already more than doubled in size, and I moved them into separate 20inx20in pots. How big is the pot that this one is in? I am looking to bring it inside during the colder months (I live in Baltimore so they will definitely need to come inside). SO glad to hear that they can be container managed, as I heard online consistently that there is no hope for them in containers!

Best,

PC

• blockbuster002
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Peter C, this pot is 24x20 and this tree fruited the the next year but mostly male flowers and only two females flowers that never made it through. See the outdoor tree that I posted earlier from blockbuster002?

• Hoang Dinh
    8 years ago

There is a place in Irvine which sell jackfruit tree about 3-5ft tall for $30 each. I think its time to get one xD I live in Anaheim which is near Little Saigon and its really hot here so i think its ok to grow one :P

• Jon
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Amazing! Any updates?

I have 3 seedlings, 12-15" in the 12" pot.

Whats the best fiod for them, indoors under t5 lighting 12 + hours a day?

Thanks in advance

• blockbuster002
    7 years ago

Jon, I used regular potting soil and the placed the pot near the sliding door where it gets direct sunlight during the winter.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

Seeing how easily they go through a soucal winter,I want to try in the bay area. I have seedlings. I wish I had something large and faster to start with,but they are never sold here so what can you do but go with what you have.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Thanks Blockbuster002,

Did you start from seed?

Did your potted tree ever produce fruit?

Do you feed it regularly.

I have never seen Jackfruit seedlings grow so fast, with nodes very close to each other, since I placed them under a 4' - eight T5 bulb fixture(416 watts, 6400k), and surrounded on 3 sides by 3 - 4' - eight bulb fixtures( 416 watts each , 6400k). At about 5 weeks old, branching began at 4 weeks old. I have 3000k T-5 bulbs if and when it begins to produce flowers. Even outside in the ground in the summer here in NY, Long Island, they never grew that fast. Temp is 80-82 in day and 73-74 at night. Lights on 14-16 hours a day.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Hi Stanofh,

Good Luck with your seedling.

Jackfruit trees can be purchased online. About 8 years ago I purchased a 5' tall Jackfruit tree and a 2' tall Marang tree. Unfortunately, they both died after the secound year, still not sure why.

• blockbuster002
    7 years ago

Jon, all my jackfruit trees started from seed. The potted trees fruited a few years ago but the fruits never mature, I think the trunk are too small. I partially replaced the potting soil every 6 months or so and make sure not to over water it. If I see water in the collection disc under the pot then that meant I over watered it. Below is the fruit from last year from the tree started in the ground.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Thanks Blockbuster,

from flower to fruit, it can take 5-6 months, usually invthe summer.

Then the fruits can be cut by the stem , and ripened indoors.

How long is your growing season (75-90 degrees and 50 degrees plus humidity

This is what a farmer friend told me, who grows Jackfruit in the Phillipines.

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Mine take about 5 to 6 months as well, but flowering starts in the dry time of year when humidity is often below 50%. You can always tell when they're flowering by the strong fragrance they give off.

• Sümeyye Last
    6 years ago

Hi everyone, my jackfruit seed got this big in almost 2 months, it is about 23 cm with pot, should i tranport it to a bigger pot now? bcoz i have seen it roots grown so fast. or when should i transport it to a bigger pot? Thanks

• Sarai Mata
    6 years ago

I live in Michigan and this is my jackfruit tree. I'm also growing a kiwano plant.

6 years ago

That reminds me- I have two seedlings I overwintered on the windowsill...they were nearly devoured by mealy's..and when I put them outside in May,every leaf fell off,I thought they were going to die.

But!..New leaves and the "trunk" is darker green. I should plant them out. Probably to die in winter- but what else to do with them?

• Sarai Mata
    6 years ago

This is how much mine has grown since June 25th. I'm afraid to plant it outside since I live in Michigan.

• PRO
    Gifts for You 'n Me
    6 years ago

I started mine from seed and in a container. This is plant is about 1.6 year old in a half gallon barrel in Central Florida

6 years ago

Gifts, that's the kind of growth I saw with them in a tropical greenhouse. My seedlings will never survive winters here. I took a chance they would get a jolt of growth in ground...but no so far.

• PRO
    Gifts for You 'n Me
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is outside, planted in a 25 gallon container. It survive last froze air - April and the Hurricane Irma being outside. I am planning to cover it this winter.

6 years ago

Well,they do fruit in Los Angeles. And L.A. gets into the 30's every year once or twice. I dont think I have the summer heat to build them up.

• PRO
    Gifts for You 'n Me
    6 years ago

They grow in Southern Florida very well. I saw this Youtube video

with a person living in Central Florida grow a lovely one, so I got one for myself. I am going to build a greenhouse around it this winter.