Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to sow these?

Posted by ElinSwe none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 13:55

Hello!
I have gotten a few seeds of Bauhinia yunnanensis and Grewia occidentalis, but don´t know really how to sow them.
Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to sow these?

Yes - google each one and you will find information to help you be a success with these seeds.

o

Of course I already tried google. Didn´t find anything about sowing them anyway...
Isn´t there anyone who has sown these?
Would really appreciate any help. :)

o

You may have problems getting information as neither of these is very common. What I do if I can't find any information is find out where in the world these plants occur naturally. The Bauhinia is from China and the Grewia is S African. It's worth noting, however, that both species are found in mountainous regions so they are probably adapted to cold conditions. The Grewia is said to be hardy.
I would stratify (pre-chill) this seed before sowing it. Put it in damp sand, seal in a polythene bag and place in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. If your weather is still cold you could sow in pots out of doors still.
Another important factor is the size of the seed, as this will determine depth at which it should be sown. The larger the seed the deeper it needs to be. A rule of thumb is sow at the same depth as the diameter of the seed. If the seed is very small, sow on the surface and just press in. Good luck. - Ian.

o

Thank you for answering!
The Bauhinia I put in a glas filled with water two days ago. I already see changes with the seeds.
Today I planted it and have it about 20 degrees Celsius.

Grewia occidentalis I also have recently planted, and have it in the same place as the bauhinia, but if nothing comes up within 5-6 weeks I will definetly try to stratify those. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here