Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derpstein

how to grow Pachira Aquatica from seed

derpstein
18 years ago

Hi!

I have learned so much from this site about my money tree.

I am interested in growing my own individual trees from seeds, then training them how I want to create my own design of interwoven trunks.

I have ordered seed packs for Pachira Aquatica. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice and/or instructions on the best habits for growing this tree from seed. Also, if anyone has any ideas/experience on training them, I would appreciate it.

Dan

Comments (18)

• Bill
    18 years ago

They stary very easily from seed. No special requirments that I have seen. Plant in a decent potting soil, water occasionally and treat it like any other plant. I would train when young as older woody growth is not very flexible.

Bill

• jasonsfury_aol_com
    17 years ago

can you tell me where you are ordering your pachira seeds from? thanks very much-J

• iguaque
    17 years ago

Does anybody know how to braid pachiras?
    I have some young plants, how make a money tree with them?

Thanks,

Iguaque

• jardindiris
    16 years ago

Can someone tell me where to buy Pachira Aquatica seeds. I have been looking everywhere...Help please

• birdymommy
    15 years ago

Finding the seeds seems to be the biggest obstacle to growing your own money tree! They are sometimes for sale on ebay or similar sites. Search for the following possible names, and I will post links to any places I find them for sale on my site... Possible names: "Malabar Chestnut", "Guiana Chestnut", "Saba Nut" (or Sabanut), "Money Tree", "Provision Tree", and the scientific name "Pachira aquatica".

I had the best luck searching for "Pachira macrocarpa" seeds, but most are located in China. There was one site selling them out of Europe though:
    http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Pachira%20aquatica&sref=1869

Once you are growing the little plants, I think the biggest issues are overwatering and light. If the roots sit in water, they will rot and die, so drainage is a must. Waiting until the soil is dry 1/4" deep between waterings works well, and I've seen sites suggest using a cactus potting soil to help with drainage, but that might be a little extreme. Honestly, I just use Miracle Grow and don't overwater, and my Pachira has been growing like gangbusters and super happy. For light, a bright window that doesn't get DIRECT sun is great. Just lots of light, but it MUST BE INDIRECT. You can also use a plant light on a 12 hour timer.

The stems are easiest to braid when they are soft and young, before they become woody. Remove leaves from the trunks to be braided. Braid gently and slowly over time, securing with safe plant ties (those little green ones) as you go. Remember to keep the top of the plant happy and healthy with lots of leaves to support the plant while you are stressing it with this manipulation. Just water correctly, and maximize INDIRECT light for ~12 hours a day if possible. Maximum growth = more fresh young trunk for you to braid!

Finally, Pachiras apparently don't like to be potted in a pot that is too big. I'm not a plant expert so I can't say what's best exactly... Just go with an appropriate pot for the size of the plant, and don't go re-potting all the time like crazy, as that will stress it.

So, I'm still learning on this myself, but I hope this helps!

P.S. I think these are commonly propagated by cuttings, so if you are good at that or willing to learn how, that might be an easier option in the U.S. Just buy one plant, then do cuttings to create your own new ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: the one legit place I found to order seeds

• birdymommy
    15 years ago

P.S. If anyone is looking right now, there is someone selling seeds out of FL here in the U.S on ebay right now. Here is a link to the listing, but it won't work once the auction closes.

The item listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180291532409&_trksid=p2759.l1259

The member who might have more in the future (you can check their listings): http://myworld.ebay.com/buffy30/

Here is a link that might be useful: SOMETIMES SELLS PACHIRA AQUATICA SEEDS ON EBAY

• Alex_Panteleyenko
    11 years ago

I'm a happy customer of the company mentioned by birdymommy. Best prices and delivery! I did find couple of sites that sell seeds Pachira Aquatica but prices way high. here is more info about it:
    Soil types: Loamy
    Soil drainage: Moist but well-drained, Well-drained
    Soil pH: Acid, Alkaline, Neutral
    Light: Partial Shade
    Aspect: East, West
    Exposure: Sheltered
    Hardiness: Indoor heated (H1)
    Pests: Generally pest-free
    Diseases: Generally disease-free.
    Propagation methods: Division
    Fertilise with balanced liquid feed in May, June, July, August
    Divide and replant after flowering (August)
    Mist plants any time to create a humid atmosphere

• Kenna Mckenzie
    8 years ago

Hello everyone!

I just ordered my pachira money tree seeds from an online website, I will paste it below, I highly recommend this website I've been using it for years, they are CHEAP & FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE, the website and it's stores are from all provinces and regions of CHINA. One would think that because they are from China that seeds and general merchandise would be cheap but no the quality is like no other, I have ordered seeds for bonsai trees, wisterias, orchids, andeven bamboo, some companies even send you an extra seed(s) as a gift. I hope you all enjoy.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1547985112.html?aff_click_id=a4c8ebcb39d2468d9a5e474810e68f83-1457079350617-09785-qbyZzJAI6&aff_platform=y

• Henri Laborde
    7 years ago

My money tree (and I mean TREE!), is currently putting out seeds, some of which I've planted today.

I'm in Southern California, and if you wish, contact me and I can try to get you some of the seeds. You'll at least have to pay for the shipping.

Take care,

Henri Pierre Laborde

www.achoiredtaste.com

• G W .
    6 years ago

Hi everyone. Do you start all the seeds in the same pot so you can braid them as they grow without having to repot? How big of a pot should I use for 5 plants to braid? Also, what is still considered "young" and I should start braiding? Months, years? Thanks!!

• Anjali Baran
    5 years ago

Hi All, I have just received 10 seeds ordered on Ebay from China. Still deciding how many seeds per pot to plant. It's too cold at the moment. Does the temperature affect sprouting?

Thanks

Anjali

• HU-993664876
    3 years ago

I have a 10 ft tall money that is growing pods about 20 I want to plant the seeds

• Puppy Tao
    3 years ago

My money tree from seed not sure how long will it take to become a tiny tree?

• HU-993664876
    3 years ago

How much do the seeds cost?

• HU-993664876
    3 years ago

Where do you live?

• Henri Laborde
    3 years ago

My "Momma" Money Tree is now about 15 years old and about 10 feet tall. It hates the weather out here in Anaheim where we recently saw 112 degrees Fahrenheit !! I have babies grown from seeds of this tree which are quite happy in the shade. In winter, temperatures are no lower than mid 40's. The little trees I have, get lots of water, no fertilizer (since planted in MiracleGro laced potting soil) and are quite robust. I think I have a couple of grasshoppers who try to munch on the 3 small trees on my porch, otherwise, these trees/plants are quite low-maintenance. I've mailed seeds to people, but they live in quite severely cold climates (Pittsburgh, for one). Southern California is generally fine as long as you keep them out of the sun! The porch "trees" have not been harmed by the 112 degrees, but the "Momma" tree which is out in the full sun, is quite unhappy, with much smaller, yellowish leaves. Poor baby. It was originally bought by me as a "twined" group of several plants; all but one died. This is common as the plants get older. I wouldn't torture the poor plants like that; give them a good chance at life!! The Momma hasn't put out any flowers this year, again probably due to this outrageous weather. At least we don't have fires where I live! The several plants I've given away locally are all thriving in shade or part sun. The seeds here have usually sprout in a week or two, and grow amazingly quickly. The porch trio were planted altogether; I believe I started with about 5 seeds and have 3 robust 2 foot trees now. The trees appear to be deciduous, at least Momma has been, even in the milder Huntington Beach climate where it started. I was shocked to see the leaves all fall when I was in Huntington, not expecting a "tropical" plant to be deciduous! But I left it alone, and lo and behold it got all of its leaves again. In Anaheim, in full sun, the leaves are smaller, yellowish, and fall out in late September. Several branches have died; I hope this valiant tree makes it to next year!

• HU-993664876
    3 years ago

My tree gave me many flowere and seed pods this year