Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have a favorite plant form?

Posted by shiollie z5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 14:32

I am repainting my kitchen and had to put all my plants in another room where they are a bit crowded and I noticed that most of the plants are very similiar in form.. mostly the big (or small) arching leaves like the bananas or BOPs, I seem to be very attracted to this form right down to the ponytail palm.
So how about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have a favorite plant form?

I don't think this is what you meant but I really like big, gaudy vivid flowers. Interesting leaves are OK but that's about it for me.
Barb

o

Hi Barb, actually it is what I meant :). For you, the flowers are the form, most of what I have are non flowering plants so I tend to look at the graceful arching of the leaves which is another form.This was confirmed today when I received the 3 Dicksonia Antarctica (tree ferns) which have the same arching frond habit.

I would like to hear from others too!
(I know I am NOT the only one who has noticed this "trend" in myself)

o

I have noticed that I like large leaved plants. Bananas, monstera, splitleaf philodendron, some brugs sorta have big leaves, BOP, heliconia etc.
I also like vines or anything I can tie up and make like a vine (like indian night jasmine- posed to be tree-like but I tie it up a bamboo trellis).
Of course Im crazy about night bloomers and anything fragrant in general (although not quite a form lol).
~SJN

o

I like big leaves. Lushness in a planting. And bright bold colors in flowers.

Tropicalfreaks

o

I love strange and unusual flowers, colours, foliage and can't get enough of it.

o

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 17, 07 at 9:24

I like big leaves because they look tropical. I like gaudy colorful flowers. And I LOVE variegated foliage! Form doesn't matter to me much, except I'm not crazy about dangly, floppy plants, although a hanging basket is OK if it's bushy enough.

However, from a practical standpoint, I'm running out of room, and I have figured out that I can squash in more plants if they are upright rather than arching or sprawling.

o

Generally, I have no preference but tend to favor ones that produces exotic blossoms or fragrance which entices me daily in the garden. Plants heighten my spirits and creativity which I belive should hold no bounds.

o

I agree with all of the above.. guess thats why we hang out in all the " tropical plants' forums. :)
I really need a greenhouse!

o

I tend to go crazy in stages! Wife would concur about not just the plants. I am now on a palm kick. I love the tropical look of a palm, but before that was my banana kick. Looked for, researched and purchased many bana plants. Before that it was the nepenthes. After many tries, I only found one that I could keep indoors successfully. Before that-the alocasia/colocasia look. I still love all these plants, but I seem to have a new fetish every year!

o

protempsfish, I understand!! I do the same thing, but I kind figure that my next "craze" is because I have learned about the last one to where I can keep it alive for multiple seasons.. therefore... on to the next!
This year it is tree ferns and bat flowers.

o

i love it all ....even with container gardens...i tend to mix pointy grasses with round, fat leaves --- vivid coleus with wispy dill or fennel ...roses mixed with brugs and dats...eggplant next to roses??? and milkweed and salvia wherever it lands..... it's a good thing I live in Florida because you just never know what's going to hit the dirt next.......

o

Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 8:18

Yes, I get obsessive about certain kinds of plants for several years. Then when I master their culture, it's on to something else for a new challenge. Started as a kid with basic low light houseplants, then as a teen with african violets, then as a young single with big foliage plants to fill up a home with little furniture. Then to a house with a sunny yard where I could have a pond with water plants, and grow tropical hibiscus. Then onto big-leaved tropicals. With a detour to a career taking care of interior landscapes. Not sure where I'm heading now - maybe orchids?...

o

as seen from my screenname, my #1 obsession is palms. The large, lush tropical-looking foliage is very appealing to me. That obsession has led me to grow bananas, as well of cannas. I am now on my canna kick this year, as I intend to try 3 rare varieties from plant delights to add to my collection of the 4 or 5 varieties I already have. I think it's amazing that as tropical as these things look and rated to zone 7b, they still survive in ground here in Michigan zone 6b.

o

Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 22:45

You must have better drained soil than I do. I've tried many varieties of canna, and Red King Humbert is the only one to winter over outside here in a mild winter - not sure about this past cold one - I'll know in a couple of months. Any secret tricks you use?

o

Ive got a real thing for the large leaf plants. I have 2 five-foot Spath Sensations, 1 two-foot Sensation, 4 Bird of Paradise and a host of others with large leafs. Im totally running out of room, but they just keep calling me with thier beauty...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here