Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgirl54

Madagascar Palm

texasgirl54
17 years ago

My palm lost all the leaves. I keep her on

a sunny window in the winter. But still....all i have is a nekked Palm. Any hope the leaves grow back???????

Thanks

Christine

Comments (9)

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

this is normal, lvs drop during winter dormancy - do not water until you see new lvs forming again

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Mine has never lost it's leaves in the winter but didn't put out any new growth. It got hit by a freak frost last Oct and lost all it's leaves. I's still alive because the trunk is firm and I can see some green spines at the tips. It's inside under HID lights. I watered it for the first time when I saw the green spines about a week ago. I hope that wasn't too early. When should I see new growth? It used to be a beautiful plant. This is what it looked like when it had it's foliage. Now it's just two prickly stems : ( Will the new growth only be at the tips or will any leaves come out lower on the stems?
    Karyn

{{gwi:345421}}

(click photo to enlarge)

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

One of my specimens also got bit by frost, it had about 5 stems, and has recently started putting out leaves on 2 of them, it's possible that the growing points can be damaged and the stem would just stop at that point, back-budding is unreliable but may occur. We'll see how it goes.

New growth is always at the tips, occasionally a new stem or branch will form. When the new lvs are forming, give the plant fertilizer, good light, and water. The leaves can grow pretty quickly.

• texasgirl54
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karyn1

That is one gorgeous Palm. Very nice.
    Mine is about 8 inch tall with a firm trunk.
    Nothing else on it. LOL
    I hope the leaves grow back quickly.

Christine

• aroideana
    17 years ago

Even here in the wet tropics these pachypodiums loose the foliage . Great plants , esp. when they get up to 20' or so.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Aroideana a 20' Madagascar palm must be something! I doubt there's much of a chance of that here unless it's in a conservatory. Mine never dropped much foliage in the winter, it just stopped growing. That's why I was so freaked out when it got hit by the frost and lost all it's leaves. I just hope it fills back out over the summer.
    Karyn

• addioslw_aol_com
    12 years ago

Can you get new palms from cuttage?

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I lost my Madagascar palm : ( It slowly began rotting from the top down. I tried cutting back to healthy tissue but the rot just progressed. It's a shame because it was such a nice plant.

• cactusjack1
    10 years ago

My Madagascar palm the new leaves turn black and die. I have two and they both have the same problem help.