Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango from seed - progress thread

Posted by aesir22 (aesir22@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 15:51

Hi all,

I had a major urge to plant a mango seed! I don't know why, I am kinda obsessed about planting stuff lol.

So I bought two mangoes, enjoyed eating them, and had the husks. I peeled the husks away to reveal the nice healthy seeds beneath. One of them had like a little growth on it 0 what I think may be a root forming (they both had two shoots growing out toward the shell of the husk, but they were definitely not roots. They looked like tiny straws!

So anyway, one of them has what looks to be the nub of a root forming. I am going to plant one of the seeds in potting mix, the other in the damp paper towel and baggie method. I want to put the one with the starting root into the potting mix - should the root go at the top or the bottom? I know the top needs to be slightly exposed...any tips?

Anyway, once its growing I want to post pics on here to track its progress :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango from seed - progress thread

Been lurking in the hedges.......hope ya'll don't mind me joining.

When I bought my home about 30 years ago, the previous owner had planted a mango seed and the tree was up to about 24 inches. I wasn't into gardening then so when someone told me that even if it had fruit it probably wouldn't be any good, I chopped it down............and it came back up. Soooo I chopped it down again and it came back up. After the third time I gave up. Figured if it wanted to live that bad who was I to question it. It now has delicious mangos and most years I have to give a lot away because it bears so many. I guess you could call it my "Lazarus" mango. Hope your's turns out at well as mine did............through no help from me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here